Florida Keys Q3 – Recommendations for a Single Day of Diving in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Dear Florida Keys’ SSBer’s,

I will be celebrating my 50th Birthday and my girlfriend’s first warm water open dives in the Florida Keys next month. :balloons::cheers::hb2:
We already have a dive operator and hotel selected and reserved in the Islamorada area. We will dive with them for three days and then venture south for a day of diving in Key West.

Can anyone “personally” recommend a Dive Operator in the Key West Region, preferable (but not necessary) with a guide? I have read lists and seen websites, but what we are looking for are recommendations based on “actually” diving with these operators. Who would you take your newly certified loved ones with? Jimmy Buffet music piped on board is an added attraction :D

Thanks SBer’s and Happy Bubbles,
~Oldbear~

For large boat, try Dive Key West. They are custom made for what you are looking for. Their captain was the boat divemaster for years, and they understand taking it slow. For more personalized service, Finz Dive Center will cater to your whim. They have a Ocean Cat and will go with as few as 2 divers. A guide is available upon request. I have dived with both operators.

i've not had a chance to go yet for one reason or another but our dive club tends to use Captain's Corner in Key West on a regular basis with Rainbow Reef in the upper keys - in fact we've got one scheduled with rainbow on the 17th for the Duane & Spiegel Grove. --- i need to check my schedule to see if i can make this one!

I would wait to do the Duval Crawl AFTER diving though... and either have a room reserved or a designated driver... and parking in key west is at a premium! (unless you're retired military with your ID then it's possible to get special parking at the Annex) (Figure $10-20 for parking otherwise)

Although Captain's Corner is a fine operation, they are not a boutique operation, they are more like me, haul you out to the dive site and toss you in the water. Nothing wrong with that, and that's how lots of folks prefer their diving. I got the feeling that OldBear wanted just a bit higher level of service.

Thanks Capt Frank...you are correct. I personally do not mind the haul and dump charter style, but for my GF's first major ocean dive experience we are looking for a guided trip...just more enjoyable for us.

Although Captain's Corner is a fine operation, they are not a boutique operation, they are more like me, haul you out to the dive site and toss you in the water. Nothing wrong with that, and that's how lots of folks prefer their diving. I got the feeling that OldBear wanted just a bit higher level of service.

you have a point on that....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...this week I will contact the different operators and see what works best for everyone.

Cheers and happy bubbles.

~Oldbear~

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom