Florida Keys Q1 - Best Restaurants in KL & Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget to look for the frozen chocolate dipped key lime pie on a stick. Ask around for it at local grocery stores.

Thanks Old Bear!!!

Frozen chocolate key lime pie on a stick is available at Key Lime Products across the highway from NOAA on the way to Tavernier. I've also gotten them at the second gas station just north of Divers Direct in Key Largo, not that I'd know about those sort of things...

We just returned from a quick trip to KL, and the winds cancelled the dives last Saturday. We headed south to Key West but stopped and ate breakfast at Bitton's, half a block down from the diving museum. If you like crepes and pastries, it is worth the stop.

A lot had been said about the food in the keys but one thing left out. Its out of the way but don't rule out Gilberts under the bridge as you get to the island. The food is only so so but they have great bands on Friday, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. The drinks are reasonably priced. The bands start around 7 pm and quit at 11 so you can still make it to bed at a reasonable hour and get some sleep.

A lot had been said about the food in the keys but one thing left out. Its out of the way but don't rule out Gilberts under the bridge as you get to the island. The food is only so so but they have great bands on Friday, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. The drinks are reasonably priced. The bands start around 7 pm and quit at 11 so you can still make it to bed at a reasonable hour and get some sleep.

Thanks for the heads up! Live music is something I really enjoy and it trumps the quality of the food in my book.

Yeppers...great idea.

I plan to post a detailed trip report, so I will include it in there.

Oldbear,
Ever get around to posting a trip report & grub map? We leave in less than a week and I know I would benefit from both.
Best!

Since the sweets are being mentioned, I have a soft spot for the homemade ice cream at Mr. C's - there's two locations, the newer and easier-to-find one is located right next to Sailfish Scuba (MM 103.5, I think?). It's not a Key Largo visit for me without a post-dive stop there.

Sorry I really meant to do this when we got back...Here is my favorite...
Wahoo’s
83413 Overseas Highway Islamorada, FL 33036
OMG!!! Great food. We arrived before the sun set and the fishing boats were coming back in so we sat on the outer deck for the ambience. The crab bisque is thick and rich. Filled with chunks of seafood so big it really could be a meal if they served it in a bread bowl. I ordered the shrimp scampi. It was HUGE!! And delicious, and really really fresh. They make it with asparagus and cherry tomatoes and really large shrimp over angel hair pasta. The hubby ordered the giant prawn but be warned they no longer serve it, maybe they should revise the menu. He got the Enchilada Cubana instead, and again it is huge, and delicious.......served with yellow rice and a red sauce. Not spicy at first but had a nice after bite. Too stuffed to move, much less order dessert, I couldn’t pass up the Key Lime pie to go. After a couple of hours I dug in and it was spectacular. Dinner was a little pricy, $95 with drinks and dessert. But well worth it....Oh, you can order off the lunch menu until 6:00 at night to ease the $$ pain.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom