Florida Keys - More questions !!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In short, no. Not anything worth seeing anyway.

Rachel

I am a Florida Keys diving addict. Rachel (Biscuit7) runs a nice dive boat out of Cudjoe Key. And she has probably done a few training dives at the "shore diving sites". One I know of is near the Bahia Honda State Park.

The shore in the keys is simply too shallow for 100's of yards out to do anything that resembles diving. Key Largo had hundreds of shallow reef dives and several deep wreck dives too. The wreck dives usually have currents, and quite strong at times.

Marathon has several nice reefs too but without the crowds. Sombereo and Looe are the most popular. Good wreck diving too. Get Rachel to take you to the Busch and then decompress on Looe Key reef. You will love it.

Key West has diving but nothing to see. Basically a rip off. Reefs are dead and way too many people. Night life is another matter to experience in Key West.

The water temps are pleasant in May. usually near 80 degrees and air temps may be in the mid eighties. Enjoy, and gives us a dive report.

PaScubaGirl70:
Hi again!
Also, is there any shore diving?
Thanks

In a word, no. There is some shore diving in some area's but it's NOT going to generally be on a reef. If you are coming from out of state, I'd say shore diving there is a waste of time. If you want good shore diving in FL, LBTS (Lauderdale by the Sea) is generally it.

LBTS has some of the best shore diivng in the US. The reefs are not as dramatic as those found farther out, but it's really worth doing, and at the price of tank and weight rental, by far the most cost effective option.

However IMO if you are going to FL, pay to dive off the boats. I can not think of an activity I'd rather be doing, and at around $60 for two tanks, it's IMO worth tha price of admission.

I'm headed there at the end of the month for business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom