Florida Keys in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nardulli

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
I'm a newbie - just finished my testing and confined water dives. I was planning on Cozumel mid march for a vacation and for my Open Water dives, but that is starting to Look expensive beyond what I had planned.

Any thoughts on diving in the Keys? Good choice for OW cert dives?

Jim

Two excellent Florida Key choices would be Key Largo which is famous for the marine park, reefs and the abundent variety of fishlife. Another choice would be to continue driving South 15 minutes to Islamorada. Last months Rodale Scuba Divng magazine's readers rated Islamorada as North America's best dive location.
Both Largo and Islamorada have numerous reefs in the 30 ft depth range. Great for beginners.
Varity, large qty of fish, turtles, nurse sharks, southern rays and eels are easily seen on most dives.
I can point you to hotels in the $50-$70/night range. Fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.
Night life is decent during the summer. In March it will be a little tame unless your trip is during the Spring break.
Depending on the dive shop you book with, you will most likely accomplish your checkout dives one on one with an instructor. You will get all the attention and training you want.

Expect water temps of about 70 to 78 in March. (but more towards the lower 70's.) You can dive that with a 3mm but some might get a little chilled and want a 5mm.

just FYI.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for $100/night. You'll need a rental car (and gas) which you won't need in Cozumel but you'll pay about the same in taxi's there most likely.

Good thing is that still being in the US you can still get US pricing on stuff and not have people hassle you trying to get you to come in their store like they do in Cozumel. (It's even worse in Jamacia).

mike

Last November I stayed at Amy Slate's Amoray in Key Largo. Enjoyed it greatly.

Have fun wherever you go.

My LDS is taking a group down there during spring break (Mar 13-19 in Key Largo). Go to www.athensdivecenter.com if you would like more info. Price is $825 / $925 for OW student. I'm going to get my cert dives taken care of.

MakoSince70:
I can point you to hotels in the $50-$70/night range. .

I would be interested in the name of those hotels for my cheap places to stay list. A PM would be fine if you would rather not post them here.
Thanks

Herman, sent you a PM with the hotel data. I don't know what the Board rules are on providing posts with details of dive shop/hotel names and numbers. Soo, check the PM

I am in the same boat. Was planning on going to Aruba or DR but my tax refund isn't what I was hoping. I am planning on doing my advance OW in Key Largo 2nd week of march. Sea Dwellers has a good price package for the courses and the Holiday Inn across the street. Don't pay attention to the package prices on the website. If you are in a training class, the pricing structure is different. I am paying $250 for the Advanced and am getting the hotel for $119 a night via the dive shop. They have an ad in sport diver mag this month or you can go to their website.

hey sportserjohn- do you know which instructor will be doing you AOW?- I did mine at sea dwellers and the instructor I had was a great chap.

They are a pretty good operation for check out dives- I would recommend them to any newbie, they are nice and safety conciuos and the bigger boat means you won't get as sick - only downside in March is the rolling spring breaks which means there will proabably be more people there.

I am hoping that I get down there before the spring breakers. Last 2 marches, I went on cruises filled with drunk collage kids. Not sure who my instructor will be while I am down there. Since I have to do the deep dive / nav dive etc, maybe I will lucky and not be on too crowded of a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom