Florida Keys Dive Center Review (Tavernier, FL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionvoice

New
Reaction score
Thought I should post a review of a dive op that doesn't have much mention 'round here. I recently dove for 3 days with Florida Keys Dive Center in Tavernier, FL. We were a couple (3) of newbie divers with limited ocean experience looking for relaxing diving in the Upper Keys. FKDC delivered...

Boat: a new(er) 42' twin-engine diesel. Not being a sea-farer myself, the boat seemed to handle quite well in our choppy seas. Speaking with some other divers that were at our hotel (Ocean Pointe, definitely a winner I might add) that were blown out due to the rough seas it seems the bigger boat was a plus. Seemed fast although I have no basis for comparison.

Dive Instructors: some in our group enjoyed a refresher course put on by Divemaster Joe. They had nothing but good comments, and from my limited interactions: Joe was very patient and reassuring with nervous divers.

Dive Captains: both captains (Greg and Tom) seemed to know what they were doing and Capt Greg especially made everyone feel at ease. We didn't have much choice in where to dive (granted, we didn't ask) but both Capts led us to wonderful locations including Molasses reef.

Seas: horrible, but then again not much you can do 'bout the waves.

Dive Shop/billing: had a few problems here after I noticed a mistyped fuel surcharge of $300...the dive op was very thorough in rectifying the situation although they'd have been that much richer had I not caught the mistake.

All in all, and forgiving the ocean, the trip was a success. A few things beyond the ocean could have been better and we've since learned that: 7am flights out of MIA are *not* a good idea when staying in Tavernier, the FL keys highway is *constantly* busy, the FL keys are expensive, but it's still the closest, cheapest, and most enjoyable diving without the necesity of a passport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom