Florida Keys couple get prison time for lobster-poaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Good.

Florida Keys couple get prison time for lobster-poaching - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

A major commercial fisherman was sentenced to 30 months in prison, and his wife to seven months, on Friday in an illegal scheme to harvest more than 1,000 spiny lobsters in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.

David W. Dreifort and Denise D. Dreifort were among six people indicted last year on a conspiracy charge in one of the largest lobster-poaching cases in the Florida Keys.

The six were arrested in August on opening day of lobster season after federal agents caught all but one suspect returning to the Dreifort's Cudjoe Key home with the spiny lobsters. They illegally harvested the lobsters with hut-like ''casitas'' placed on the ocean floor, and stored them in freezers at the Dreifort's home.

This year, the Dreiforts and three others pleaded guilty, and one defendant, Michael Delph, son of a legendary charter-boat captain, was convicted at trial.

On Friday, a federal judge in Miami sentenced David Dreifort, 41, to the harsher sentence because he was the ringleader, with his wife, 48, receiving a split sentence of seven months in prison and seven months of house arrest.

U.S. District Judge Jose Martinez also ordered the couple to forfeit three vessels and three vehicles. In a parallel civil action, they were ordered to pay $1.1 million toward restoration of the marine sanctuary, including removing 700 casitas. The couple is expected to raise the money by selling their Cudjoe Key home and another property on Little Torch Key.

The use of casitas for harvesting lobster not only dirties the ocean but also has a negative effect on lobster migration and reproduction, experts say.

In the government's probe -- dubbed Operation Freezer Burn -- agents found that David Dreifort was accountable for the whole illegal harvest over two days in August, totaling 1,187 spiny lobsters with a retail market value of $21,662. The daily boat limit is 250.

Dreifort was also held accountable for wrung lobster harvested during the pre-season that was placed in three different freezers at his Cudjoe Key home, according to prosecutor Thomas Watts-FitzGerald.

Finally someone got slapped with jail time for poaching....and over the head with stiff monetary fines. Good work

I'm glad the Dreiforts were harvested from their casitas. I hope this sends the appropriate message to others participating in similar activities.

Good diving, Craig

Awesome! I am glad to see some heavier fines handed down for this sort of disqusting gluttony. It is not like they had a few shorts or was one over the limit. The fines are better than the time in this case although with that house and apparent life style life is going to be difficult for them in the joint.

PS- I believe if it was 7 months for the wife she is going to do Jail time not Prision time. DOC is for 1 year and 1 day plus only. 30- months is going to sting a bit :mooner:

When he gets out the last thing he is going to be thinking about is wringing tails. (Lobster)

Not my particular genre of music but it fits well..

Locked Up

I think they should allow "casitas", they provide habitat for marine life among othjer things. The commercial trappers annilate the lobster population near the natural reefs during the season.

Good! If they get few more of these guys, maybe the rest of us will have a chance to catch a bug or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom