Florida Key questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba jeff

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am plannign a vacation for March 2006. I thought I should come to the experts, you.
I was thinking of maybe a week in the keys. My questions are:
What key has the best diving?
What is the air and water temp in the keys during March?
What else is there to do besides dive. We will probably dive 3 days and one night dive and we need something else to do during the other days.

Thanks in advance. My wife and I are both certified and we have some dive experience taking trips to Kauai, Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel. Plus the fun diving in Ohio!
We both prefer seeing lots of fish and things like that. Coral is great, but I enjoy seeing fish more. Also, if you have other spots you would recommend, I am also open to suggestions (I am also looking at Grand Cayman and Aruba).

scuba jeff:
Hello,

I am plannign a vacation for March 2006. I thought I should come to the experts, you.
I was thinking of maybe a week in the keys. My questions are:
What key has the best diving?
What is the air and water temp in the keys during March?
What else is there to do besides dive. We will probably dive 3 days and one night dive and we need something else to do during the other days.

Thanks in advance. My wife and I are both certified and we have some dive experience taking trips to Kauai, Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel. Plus the fun diving in Ohio!
We both prefer seeing lots of fish and things like that. Coral is great, but I enjoy seeing fish more. Also, if you have other spots you would recommend, I am also open to suggestions (I am also looking at Grand Cayman and Aruba).
I'll go ahead and cast my vote for Key Largo (big suprise). Plan on air and water temperatures in the low-mid seventies, tho air temps can be higher or lower. Besides diving, let's see... there's eating and sleeping... that's pretty much it! But seriously, most activities here are water-based. Fishing, snorkeling, paddling, sailing, parasailing, kiteboarding, eco-tours, and glassbottom boats are all popular diversions. Key West is a great place to spend a non-diving day, as is Everglades National Park. Enjoy... and don't forget to schedule a massage to help you recover from your vacation!

I was in Key West 2 weeks ago and (3/38-4/4) the air temps ranged from 70-86 and the water temps were in the high 70's low 80's..apparently the week before the air was in the 90's and the water in the mid 80's.

I saw a lot of fish (more than the last few trips) Off Key West, but there's sure to be a lot up and down the Keys.

I've only stayed in Islamorada, Marathon, and Key West, and there's either a lot or a little to do there, It's MUCH easier to find in KW, but we found stuff on other Keys.

Lot's of good resturants, bars, activities (Islamorada has Theater of the Sea, Marathon has the Dolphin Research Center) there's shopping, fishing, jetskiing etc.

Definitely the best diving in the Keys is in Key Largo, and IMHO, the best dive operator is Island Ventures (www.islandventure.com). Islamorada and Looe Key tie for 2nd and Key West a distant 3rd.

What else is there to do besides diving....hmmmmm, do you fish? do you get into watching sunsets while sipping up a rum runner or a pina colada? There is also several dolphin experiences and an acquatic theatre in Tavernier, just north of the famous "Tiki Bar." Just look for all the cars parked on the east side of Overseas Highway and the marina with all the charter fishing boats. If you pass that and cross the bridge to lower matacumbe key, you've gone too far. Oh yes, there is also Duval Street in Key Weird....I mean, Key West.

I am also planning a vacation in the Keys... late July.

What I really want to know is where to find a cheap rental that has 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and a kitchen. We will have 4 total and have looked online and the best yet is $1200.00 for 1 week.

I also checked the naval Air Station... has anyone stayed in the townhomes or have you seen them... the online pic does not look great.

Also looking into renting a boat from the Marina for diving at the NAS.

What is the best day to hit Duval and party?

Finally, can anyone inform me if there is a place that rents doubles.
All of us will be advanced cert by then and have over 75 dives each logged.

Go to Key West and catch one of the ferries to the Dry Tortugas and dive there.

non diving suggestions:

canoe trip in the mangroves
visit the Everglades (not too far from Key Largo)
drive up the highway to Key West for a day (and stop to take photos by the ocean along the way)
go to a seafood buffet for dinner

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom