Florida in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BenjaminF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm supposed to be in the Florida area, near Sarasota for 3 weeks starting around the 7th of April. I was wondering if somebody could tell me what the conditions for diving would be, and what would be the recommended dive spots for a budget minded diver? I will have transport, so up to 4 or 5 hours driving isn't a limitation.

I think all of us who live and dive in FL are wondering what it'll be like around the 7th of April. If we only knew! We have had one heck of a "winter" with lots and lots of wind and high seas. In fact, this week is probably going to be a total blow-out. The seas will be calm for a few days and then the wind comes in and the dive boats stay put. We went out last Friday and it was beautiful,and the water temp ranged from 71 - 75 degrees. However, since you'll be in FL for most of April, there's a chance that our crazy weather will calm down and you can get some good dives in.

We dive out of Jupiter with Jupiter Dive Center. One of the divers on the boat last week was from Sarasota and he comes down frequently to dive with JDC. Go to their website to check out prices and dives. They are a really great dive shop.

In reading many posts in the Florida forum, lots people are complaining about the lack of diving because of weather. Even the Keys are having a tough time. We are all praying calm seas are on the way! Staying dry just sucks!

If marine conditions aren't favorable, check out Devils Den and Blue Grotto in Williston or a drift dive down the Rainbow River with American Pro or Bird's near Crystal River.

If marine conditions are good, make the drive to Jupiter as suggested by islandream

OK. Thank you.
With regards to the temperature, it sounds like a 5mm suit is needed. Or would a 3mm shorty be ok for most dives?

OK. Thank you.
With regards to the temperature, it sounds like a 5mm suit is needed. Or would a 3mm shorty be ok for most dives?
That's highly dependent on your cold tolerance. I dove last weekend in 73 degrees in a 3mm full with 7mm hood and was just fine (colder when topside than in the water). We had other divers that looked like they were going on an arctic dive with lavacore, 7mm, hood, gloves etc.

Low 70's is 7MM territory for me! You'll see people wearing shorties through dry suits during the winter in Palm Beach County, it all depends on one's tolerance to cold and how many dives one plans on doing. If you don't get cold easily, a 5MM is probably fine. A fleece jacket is nice for the surface interval. JDC has freshwater rinse hoses and I like to shower off after the last dive and then change into dry clothes which helps me tolerate the cool winter air.

So it's a toss up between diving dry and hauling along heavy neoprene?

Like others have said, it depends on your tolerance to cold water. ( For those of use who live here, we get real used to 80 degree water in the summer and fall, so 73 degree water is cold to us!) This winter I've been comfortable in my 5mm wetsuit and 3mm hooded vest, but I'm not cold-tolerant. I had been diving in my 3mm wetsuit with just a hood and I was too cold. It sucks having to wear so much neo, but for me it's either that or no diving.

Thank you very much to everybody for the advice :)

So far, I had a really fun dive at Venice beach. Visibility was measured in centimetres, but it was a blast finding some shark teeth there. Now heading further south :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom