Florida in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amy23amy

New
Reaction score
I would like to do some diving in Florida in mid April. Does anyone know what conditions or weather I should expect? My thoughts are Ft. Lauderdale but I would love to hear reccommendations. Thanks for any help.

Hello there amy23amy

Greetings and Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Heres a great link to a ScubaBoard forum > (Florida Conch divers)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Great place to ask Questions and get Answers on anything to do with Florida diving....

The Atlantic Ocean (East Coast) temps range from the low to middle 70s.

Mild temperatures — not too hot, not too cold — typically make April a very popular month for visitors.

Would recommend diving in the Florida Keys,warm water ~great visability~lot's of neat ocean critters~Reefs,Wrecks....

O.K. now i am ready to Go just talking about it!

Glad to have you on the board!

Cheers

I see that you've posted this same question in the Florida and General Travel forums, so you should get a lot of opinions. Have a good trip.

:cowboy2: don

You could literally get any weather at all in April here in the Keys. Well, it won't be snowing, but that's about all I can promise. Water temps will likely be in the upper 70s, air temps could be anywhere from low 70s to upper 80s. It might be windy, it might not :D

Rachel

I would recommend the Palm Beach area. We like the Singer Island area because its got good beaches and is convenient to Riveria Beach Marina, home to several dive boats.

The diving is drift diving and the visibility is usually very good with 60' to 80' on the times I have been there. There are lots of nice reefs a short boat ride out and you can even to an OK shore dive from under the Blue Heron bridge (just make sure to to go at high tide and watch out for the fishing lines). The weather should be nice. Expect water temps in the mid 70s in April. Full body exposure protection is a good idea in Spring as "sea lice" can be present.

There is an abundance of hotels on the island. We've stayed at the Marriott Ocean's Pointe (very nice on the beach) and the Best Western (very cheap on the beach). Mid April is still high season in South Florida, so book early as possible.

Lauderdale by the Sea, in Ft Lauderdale as well as the canal mall are very nice areas and lots of fun things to do and see and you may prefer to stay in that area, but from everything I've heard and experienced, the diving in Palm Beach County is the best of Florida's "Gold Coast". As best as I can remember it is about a 30 to 40 minute drive from Lauderdale by the Sea up to the Riveria Beach Marina.

Some board members from South Florida may be able to provide additional information regarding recommended hotels and dive operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom