florida gators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surelyshirly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be going to Florida west coast to dive and have to ask the gator question.

I know they are only in fresh water and any bay and gulf diving are gator free but I wanted to also dive Crystal Springs in Jan or Feb and hopefully see the manatees but isn't that a fresh water dive? And doesn't that invite your gators?

What is the deal with Florida dive sites that aren't ocean or gulf.

I think you will have no problems in the Springs at Crystal River. I have been out at night and seen some red eyes wit a spotlight while navigating on the river. They were attached to gators. Dive the springs in the day and you will have no problems and should not see a gator. if you do, rub his belly. They like that.

james croft:
if you do, rub his belly. They like that.

:lol:

That's a joke surely... just to be sure. :-D

Depending on the size of the gators present you should perhaps carry a "Gator Bell" to warn them of your presence and some pepper spray for defense. To figure out the size of the gators present though, you have to inspect their poop. Gators under 12 ft have poop that is small to a moderate in size with a normal smell. Gators larger than 12 ft have a much larger poop with tiny little bells and it smells like pepper spray.

NetDoc:
Depending on the size of the gators present you should perhaps carry a "Gator Bell" to warn them of your presence and some pepper spray for defense. To figure out the size of the gators present though, you have to inspect their poop. Gators under 12 ft have poop that is small to a moderate in size with a normal smell. Gators larger than 12 ft have a much larger poop with tiny little bells and it smells like pepper spray.
Good one!

You're right, it is a joke. You've got to flip them on their backs first.

MantaRey:
:lol:

That's a joke surely... just to be sure. :-D

Such misconceptions... I prefer the up-and-down motion over any circular motion.

And I am very glad I am under 12', I like spicy food, but pepper spray is a bit ridiculous.

(I used to run lots of trips down to that area to snorkel with manatees and never saw a single real alligator, you'll be fine.)

"I said, it's great...to be...a...FLORIDA GATOR."

OneBrightGator:
Such misconceptions... I prefer the up-and-down motion over any circular motion.

And I am very glad I am under 12', I like spicy food, but pepper spray is a bit ridiculous.

(I used to run lots of trips down to that area to snorkel with manatees and never saw a single real alligator, you'll be fine.)

"I said, it's great...to be...a...FLORIDA GATOR."
Yes, But it's the ones you can't see are the ones you have to worry about.

Just kidding-Go have a good time because you will have a great time! Just don't dive within a half-hour of eating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom