Flooded Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BARdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On last day of 8 day dive trip, I flooded my camera. It is a Cannon S100 with Cannon housing and only a month old. So is there anything that can be done or is this now a paperweight? At least it was the last day and I did not lose any photos already taken. Flood was my fault, got in a hurry and did not double check the latch on housing.

56.gif

Sorry you flooded your housing. Been there done that.

The camera is toast. Saltwater fries the electrical components. Once in awhile the cameras turn on after they dry out but die shortly thereafter. As for the housing just wash it out with clean water (purified) and dry it. Blow it dry with air from a scuba tank being careful not to apply too much direct air pressure OR use a hair dryer without activating the heating element.

I flooded my Panny ZS3 after only the first battery change. I thought about stuffing it with tampons, but thought, who am I kidding, I lube the o-ring, make sure it is done away from any dust, etc. But apparently something landed on the oring in the process of opening/closing the housing. I noticed dampness inside the housing and thought, condensation...there goes the shots for this dive, but as the dive progressed, theh screen wasn't on but the LEDs were, and then noticed a small pool of water. Since the panny has such a fat lens port, I had the housing face down so excess water could pool there and not cause further damage to the camear, which already has its lens retracted. Seems that the display is fried, but the rest of the camera is still good. Good thing the camera is a couple of years old, since I can get a used one for dirt cheap, or try to replace the display for even cheaper. When I initially got the housing, I saw a single o-ring and thought this might be trouble...it turned out to be. The few Canon housing I saw also has a single oring. My Oly C5050's housing has double oring and it never leaked in all the time I used it.

Believe it or not you could get lucky. I would remove the batteries and rinse it well with distilled water, Shake out the excess and dry either with a low heat from a blow dryer at distance or immerse in a bag of rice for a few days. The key is get out the conductive salt water residue. My cottage customers are always dropping things in the lake and we use the rinse and rice routine with good results. But fresh water is more forgiving and salt water is corrosive. Hey you never know. Good luck.

On last day of 8 day dive trip, I flooded my camera. It is a Cannon S100 with Cannon housing and only a month old. So is there anything that can be done or is this now a paperweight? At least it was the last day and I did not lose any photos already taken. Flood was my fault, got in a hurry and did not double check the latch on housing.

Underwater Camera Housing Leak Detector

I never leave home without it !!! Cheapest insurance you can get and Jeff is great to deal with. I bought two.

Flooded my 8080 on the last day of my last dive trip. Still she has had a charmed life as this was my first U/W camera and had lasted over 7 years and multiple air flights so I cannot complain.
I assumed it was toast but I did save the pictures that were on the memory card.
Now on the hunt for a new camera.

If you return the camera to Canon for repair, they should offer you another one (or a similar camera) at a reduced price. At least they did for me when my G12 flooded.
That happened to my buddy also. It was totally his fault. Canon camera in a Canon housing. He called then sent the camera in for an estimate. About 3 weeks later there was a box at his door - brand new camera - no charge.

I flooded both of my G10's on my recent Maldives trips ... too many "hot drops" with the camera in hand as I stepped off the boat, I suspect.

Anyway, one of them still works. After the first one flooded, someone gave me a tiny piece of Shamwow towel to slip inside the housing, and it literally saved the camera. Amazing how much water a tiny piece of that stuff can absorb ... way better than moisture munchers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom