Flood insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrRick:
It sounds like DEPP and DAN are both very quick to settle claims. I don't remember seeing anything regarding State Farms turn around time on filed claims. Does anyone have experience witht them on that?

Perhaps not 100% relevant, but a bit of a datapoint. My auto insurance is AIG. I was (gently) rear-ended on the highway by someone who had State Farm. He immediately admitted fault (he wasn't paying attention & hit the brakes too late in front of congestion). The only damage was body damage; no injuries. I called State Farm & got the claims dept. They walked me thru the process (& actually had me file reports with both my and their insurance, but they agreed to pay everything, including deductible, as the other driver was at fault). My car got repaired; I got a loaner while the car was being repaired; I had my choice of body shop & car rental agencies (though they did steer me towards the one they had a contract with). No fuss, no hassle, no delays. So, for routine auto, anyway, State Farm is very good.

I had a similar experience. If their gear insurance is anything like their auto, can't beat it. Has anyone figured out their definition of "flood"?

I don't know how easy it was for those of you that have State Farm to get a policy for your dive equipment, but I have been having such a tough time. I have called 2 different agents and both have give me the run around. Then I called AllState (my homeowner's) and they kept saying that it would be covered under your homeowners. They couldn't quite get it that I wanted a seperate policy!!! Ahhhh!! I'm sticking with DEPP, at least they know what I am talking about when I call.

I called State Farm yesterday, and will be going in to sign up tomorrow! I'm insuring about $4700 in equipment (camera, dive computer, laptop, etc) and the premium is $45, no deductible!

Keep trying! It's worth it.

crpntr133:
I had a similar experience. If their gear insurance is anything like their auto, can't beat it. Has anyone figured out their definition of "flood"?

Yep. it is defined as water rising into your home or automobile . If you have an o-ring fail, you are not covered. I went with DEPP.

crestgel:
Has anyone used the State farm Personal Articles policy?
Lost my Nikonus V in Indonesia . Bottom of sea. State farm paid replacement cost in less than 30 days. $3000 coverage for $35 .

Sacramento Diver

TruckDiver:
Yep. it is defined as water rising into your home or automobile . If you have an o-ring fail, you are not covered. I went with DEPP.

Are you sure about that? It was explained that any damage on a "Personal Articles" would be covered and had nothing to do with a home or an auto. In any case I am now concerned that my agent didn't fully understand when I explained flooding of cameras. I have a sinking feeling about this :06:.

Just saw this thread. I added my camera gear to my existing Personnel Articles policy this morning with State Farm. My local agent called the underwriter at my request to specifically ask about whether or not they would cover a flooded housing. The underwriter said that the policy I had was a "zero exclusion" policy, and therefore it would be covered.

My pricing was the same as everyone elses above, about 1%.

DvrRick:
Are you sure about that? It was explained that any damage on a "Personal Articles" would be covered and had nothing to do with a home or an auto. In any case I am now concerned that my agent didn't fully understand when I explained flooding of cameras. I have a sinking feeling about this :06:.

I spoke with 3 different agents, all told me essentially the same thing.
"A mechanical failure that causes damage would not be covered".
The coverage may vary from state to state, I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom