Float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see what you are saying. So if you are heavy in only a bathing suit, plus wearing a tank, you obviously can't really do a traditional weight check by adding/subtracting weight. You just use BCD (and lungs of course) to adjust buoyancy. This is not a situation that any of us up here are used to, of course.

What I'm saying is
  • you weigh X in the bathing suit and you sink below eye level,
  • you weight X + Y in the bathing suit + scuba gear and you float at eye level,
this means X + Y < X which means Y < 0. That's just arithmetic. Applied to our topic, it means the gear (the Y) is lighter than water. Otherwise
giphy.gif

I know I'm being picky, but I was a science teacher: less dense, not lighter! lol

I had a short guy in OW class that was a body builder - built like a v without an ounce of fat. had a hard time with the 10 minute tread - had to actively kick the entire time.

What I'm saying is
  • you weigh X in the bathing suit and you sink below eye level,
  • you weight X + Y in the bathing suit + scuba gear and you float at eye level,
this means X + Y < X which means Y < 0. That's just arithmetic. Applied to our topic, it means the gear (the Y) is lighter than water. Otherwise
giphy.gif
Yeah, I follow that for sure. And I HATED algebra. I'm still gunna try some of the described techniques that have been offered the next time I am conveniently in a pool. Of course, I can (barely) float in salt water, where I do all my diving, and since being "retired" from DMing I'll probably never be thinking about these somewhat questionable tests again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom