Float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A while ago someone suggested I could do the float (and hands out) in fresh water by totally filling lungs and maneuvering on my back. I think it may have been Andy... I finally got to a pool here in Mississippi and tried it (not with hands out). I still sunk. My solution would still be drown-proofing. Am I unique?- any comments?

Muscle is denser than fat. Bones are heavy. Fully inflated lungs in fresh water I can barely float my nose. Let out a puff of air and I sink. Some folks are just not very buoyant. My grandson is 5 and starting swim lessons. first day of classes the instructor came up to me and quietly said this kid is a sinker. It is essential he needs to know how to swim.

Some folks are just not very buoyant.

I had a DM candidate who could not float in a fresh-water pool. He ended up kicking like crazy for 15 minutes, with short periods of swimming around on his back using his arms and legs for a break.

Yes, Steve, I have always agreed that it just depends on body buoyancy, not any kind of "comfortability" in water. But that's old stuff. In fact, your very good point that "he knows how to swim" is essential. It also goes to my theory (?) that negative buoyancy means more of your energy goes to keeping afloat than does it for someone swimming who is positively buoyant. Thus again, an advantage/disadvantage on ALL the tests. And I was a sprint swimmer 40+ years ago on the HS Swim Team.

tursiops, Yes, I know about kicking like crazy. Did this candidate pass? Was he/she able to get the hands out last 2 minutes (PADI)? Is "short periods of swimming around" etc. OK with standards? The only way I passed (and got a "5") was to drown-proof. But all that is old stuff. See my OP and question.

Sorry I'm too lazy to research from 5-6 months ago who said I could fill lungs and maneuver on my back to stay afloat--presumably without drown-proofing.

I'm a sinker and basically spent 15 minutes treading water. The no-hands bit was fun (and for odd reason, I had to do nearly 5 minutes). Still got a 5 though.

The funny thing is I haven't yet met a genuine "sinker'. I really thought I was one but found even in a swimming pool relaxing with lungs filled and arms flat in the water has me floating.
The strange thing is that Ive lost about 14 pounds lately. its gone from fat to muscle yet if anything I float better now.

I could never float worth a damn. So for float tests when I became a DM, I just did the minimal amount of movement to keep my nose and mouth out of the water.

The problem most people have with floating is they start from a horizontal position. The weight of their legs brings them down. Try starting from vertical, then tilt your head back, and put your arms out and behind you. Your lower half will rise to your natural position.

I've always said everyone floats, it just may not be at the surface. Taught swimming for a lot of years and only saw 2 real sinkers, to the point they couldn't go any deeper in the pool: the director of the American Red Cross, in Indy, who was rock solid muscle and a young hs boy who was lean and muscular.

I never understood it because to me the biggest organ affecting your buoyancy is the lungs. How can you float in full gear at eye level and sink with no gear while using the same lungs? (My perspective's a bit skewed by having relatively large ones.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom