Float Upright BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro still sells the Classic Stabilizing Jacket. It is not light, it is bulky and heavy, and the design does allow much adjustment when switching from diving with a rash guard to diving with a dry suit. I was given a Scubapro Hydros Pro to use, I returned to using the Classic. I just like the feel better.

I know I'm going to catch some stuff from a rotating fan, but I've worn many rental jacket-style BCs and never had any problem keeping upright on the surface with the thing inflated, but it was always while wearing a weight belt. I have tried three different BP/Ws and I'm always glad I have my snorkel because I tip face-forward. I have tried numerous backplates and weight configurations and surface techniques and no matter what I try, I always end up face-down on the surface with a BP/W. I can float on my back but it requires some effort to keep from going face-down again. Regardless, I very much prefer the BP/W configuration for many reasons. I dove for my first 43 years or so with no BC whatsoever so having a small donut wing is the only setup that I actually like. I am already moving away from the SS backplate and harness back to the plastic backpack but I plan to weight the backpack, add a small donut, and put the weight in pockets on the sides. The harness in itself, along with the SS backplate, are fine for the most part, but I've always thought the strap configuration on the plastic backpack was the ultimate in simplicity and ease of adjustment plus it's more compact and takes up less room for traveling. Plus I don't need a crotch strap. Perhaps my face-forward attitude is because of some kind of physical abnormality due to the redistribution of body mass that came with old age, but as long as I have my snorkel it's OK.

The key is not putting in too much air. The more air you put in them attempting to correct the issue, the more exaggerated the face down orientation becomes.

With a BP/W...you're not going to get that sitting WAY out of the water orientation that you would get with a jacket style BC with a bunch of air in it.

If I was going to have to float for a significant length of time...I'd want a jacket style BC.

OK, I’m Old School and proud of it. Ever since my jacket BC bit the dust in the mid 90s, I just taint been a super happy camper. A jacket let you float upright on the surface with no effort.
My first cummerbund style, a cheap from Mr. Duck Divers, did fair. But it died on me three years ago.
With age, bad knees and hips, bought one of these weight pockets in the vest cummerbund styles. It has been a face down flop. Forget being upright. I can’t tow anyone in need because it won’t let me float on my back.
Any suggestions?
BTW: usually do six pounds each front pocket and two pounds each back...... hmmm. In typing this out, thought maybe if I share the weight better?

I've got an old style jacket Tusa in great condition that I'd part with. I moved to a soft backpack/harness with bladder for travel and since I want the same kit on all dives I stopped using the Tusa.

bought one of these weight pockets in the vest cummerbund styles. It has been a face down flop.
Many back inflate BCDs have less buoyancy than Poodle Jackets of old. Possibly, just possibly you have too much weight and are inflating too much. I dive back inflate all the time and do not have this issue. But then, I have -just- enough lead, not a pound more, and I don't over-inflate. I stop inflating when I can breathe easily. Not that I would ever claim to be an expert. :D

Back
Top Bottom