Fling August 1-3 Trip report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the barracuda do the same thing as the jacks on night dives. They follow the divers like puppies and wait for you to blind some poor little fishie. And when they strike...BLAM!!! Little fishie gone.

And can you believe that on a previous trip we actually had to abandon a rig dive because it was TOO calm? Yup. Seems that the shadow of the rig cools the water beneath it somewhat and the water sinks. This causes a slight current toward the rig from all directions, which presents a danger to the boat and structure, therefore we couldn't tie up. This occurs only when there is absolutely NO current and it's dead calm--how rare is THAT? Just a little piece of FG trivia.

I also had a barracuda get in my face. That doesn't happen very often. I wondered if it was playing a dominance game.

I had a Townsend angel that would not leave me alone. I don't know if it was its reflection in my mask or if it just wanted its picture taken.

TwoBit

I don't know what it is, but I have noticed that wearing a mirrored lens mask and swimming with barracuda causes them to get right up in your face. We have played games with new DMs on our boat "letting" them use our personal mask to get in the water and see the barracuda. :wink:

Maybe CudaBait will get on here and discuss the reason why that is his nickname. Once you hear his story you will no longer want to mess with the Barracuda .

2-4 Wednesday night is just like we had. Consider, you're running into it. Makes it (IMHO) seem a little worse. Otherwise, looks good. Have a good trip.

yep, just checked & they're callin for 2-3 today............In that boat 3-5 is OK(I run into 2-4' on step all the time in my 29')...........last summer out(ask Dandy Don from here-he was out the trip just before us), we went out in 5-7 and it stayed that away all nite till we got about 60+ out!!!!!!!!!--what a ride....lol...........

I shot 42 pictures. I'm happy with 3.

Stetson1.jpg

seaweedblenny.jpg

Thnx for the report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom