Flights from Houston to Sorong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with the EVA sentiments, including website. Another one to consider is United operated by ANA. Totally fine. I mean, SQ (Singapore) and CX (Cathay) still better but it is better than plain AA or UA. :)

My wife and I fly back to Florida from Jakarta twice a year. Right now the best prices are on Qatar Air, but we have been using the American/Japan Air for a while now (Jakarta>Tokyo on JA, Tokyo>Dallas on AA). The American Airlines planes are and new, have good entertainment systems, and even the service is fine...especially when Cathay and the like are so much more expensive. Eight years ago your could not have paid me to go on AA, but things have changed.

The same is true with getting to Sorong...things change...and it really isn't the nightmare it was a few years ago. Give yourself plenty of time, book with Garuda, and there is no need to stress more than any other flight.

What about Nam or Batik direct from Jakarta? (as opposed to two legs for Garuda?)

Sure. Why not? I dont know Nam Air, but Batik has always been good for me. Just remember that Batik is Lion Air, and when things go south their support staff are the same clowns that make Lion such a sh-t show. Nine times out of ten they do just fine, but I know one day that one time is coming.

I did a lot of research before making this trip. The general consensus was Garuda is the most reliable but you pay for it. The other airlines, NAM, Lion, Sriwijaya, Batik, etc., are all about the same in reliability and service. I decided to factor in some down time in the event of a delay. We really had 2 days built in for any delays. Some of the guests on the boat had issues with baggage weight. I didn't have any with Sriwijaya because they allowed extra baggage.

On the other hand, if you are going through Jakarta, there are many airlines that can get you to Sorong. I feel in a bind, I would just jump on one of the other airlines to get to Sorong if my original airline messed up.

In sum, you are spending a lot of money on this trip. You need to have a plan if anything goes wrong with any flight.

Sure. Why not? I dont know Nam Air, but Batik has always been good for me. Just remember that Batik is Lion Air, and when things go south their support staff are the same clowns that make Lion such a sh-t show. Nine times out of ten they do just fine, but I know one day that one time is coming.

Perfect. Thanks.

Our approach going to a trip is usually to build in a day waiting in lovely Sorong. But yeah, I hear you.

- Bill

I'll be following this with interest. We are booked in March 2019 and need to get to Sorong...

I did a lot of research before making this trip. The general consensus was Garuda is the most reliable but you pay for it. The other airlines, NAM, Lion, Sriwijaya, Batik, etc., are all about the same in reliability and service. I decided to factor in some down time in the event of a delay. We really had 2 days built in for any delays. Some of the guests on the boat had issues with baggage weight. I didn't have any with Sriwijaya because they allowed extra baggage.

There are more exceptions to the general consensus regarding Garuda. Garuda cancels flights, changes departure times, and departure gates. Although, Garuda’s new terminal in Jakarta rocks.

Last edited:
There are more exceptions to the general consensus regarding Garuda. Garuda cancels flights, changes departure times, and departure gates...

Of course they do. What airline doesn't? My point is when things go bad, the headache of getting satisfactorily rerouted, refunded, reimbursed, etc… is far, far less with Garuda than dealing with Lion Air, Sriwiaya, etc…

I’ve been going to Raja Ampat 6 times (3 times in Resorts & 3 times in liveaboards) since 2010, going from Houston to Sorong via Jakarta 3 times, via Denpasar 3 times. The latest trip was last month (Nov 17-Dec 2), bringing 12 of my dive buddies from Texas, Louisiana & Jakarta. No missing flight connection problems so far, knock on woods.

I mostly go with Singapore Airlines from Houston to either Jakarta or Denpasar via Europe (Moscow up to 2016, but has recently changed to Manchester in 2017) and Singapore. Denpasar is a better domestic hub than Jakarta in terms of R&R, but with the recent Mt.Agung rumblings, it’s better to use Jakarta as the domestic hub. The last Houston-Jakarta roundtrip ticket was $688.

On our last trip, we arrived in Jakarta at 10:15 am & left to Ambon around midnight (to Sorong is about the same time too). We stayed in FM7 hotel for $50/night to nap & shower, before continuing with the domestic flight.

I have used Garuda Airlines & Sriwijaya from Jakarta to Sorong or Denpasar to Sorong. The domestic flight fare is about $250.

A couple times on our way back from the Resorts we had to stay overnight in Swisbel hotel in Sorong because the resorts transported us to Sorong by the evening before our domestic flight to Denpasar / Jakarta, which is usually leaving by noon to meet the international flight back to Houston from Denpasar / Jakarta.

So far I was able to leave Sorong and arrive in Singapore at the same day. On the last trip home, half of the group spent a couple days in Bali (Dec 3-5) & the other half went home from Sorong to Houston via Jakarta with supposed 4 hour transit in Jakarta that shrunk down to 2 hour due to flight delay in Makassar. They barely made through the transfer from Terminal 3 (for Garuda Airlines ) to Terminal 2 (for Singapore Airlines).

Back
Top Bottom