Flights from Chicago to Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arubabob1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I see some people fly into MLE airport but we are looking at flying into Ari Atoll Maldive. What is the difference and will we be able to get to Mahibadhoo Island easy from Ari Atoll Maldive? Thanks for your help.

I would expect not some, but nearly all visitors fly into MLE, it is the main international airport in the Maldives. I think the only other real-ish international airport is way south.

Mahibadhoo Island, where Liberty Guest House is, is one of the islands that make up Ari Atoll. It looks like there is an airport on another island in the far south of Ari Atoll, Maamingili (VAM). It may technically be an international airport, but appears to only have flights to/from Male, if that. (The runway wouldn't seem long enough for any long haul plane.) I suppose you could take a domestic flight from MLE to VAM, but Ari Atoll is big and that still leaves you pretty far from your final destination - actually surprisingly not much closer then you already were in Male. So you'd still need boat transport for the last leg, the difference being traveling along a slightly more sheltered atoll, vs. a more open water crossing which might be more weather dependant.

Water transportation is the major way of getting around in the Maldives, there are all sorts of ferries and speedboats. Male airport pretty much has a harbor instead of a taxi stand. (Note that Male airport is on it's own island, the actual city of Male is on a separate island.) I would contact the place you are staying to learn the best way to get there from Male airport. If you read the reviews, there are people talking about having done exactly that and how they got there. For example this comment a few months ago on Tripadvisor - "Before we left to Maldives I connected to Liberty guesthouse and I gave them flight information and asked, the easiest way to get to Mahibadhoo. They provide a guide who helped us from airport through Malé to the right speed boat. You don’t need to worry a thing. They will assist you with everything you need! "

Last edited:
As above:

Also it's possible to get a sea plane transfer, but they're expensive and luggage weight limits are small (and non of this US nonsense of putting your dive gear in hand luggage.

The main route is into Male. You could get Emirates Chicago to Dubai them Dubai to Male. The DXB to Male hop is 4 hours ish chicago to Dubai is in the region of 14 to 17 hrs.

Well what is so confusing is we are going on Expedia to get the flight and the room together. So when we put in Chicago to Male, it does not show the option to sat at the Guest House on Mahibadhoo Island but when we put from Chicago to South Ari Atoll, then it gives us the option to stay at the Liberty Guest house on Mahibadhoo. That's what I can't figure out. Any suggestions? Thanks. Aruba Bob

Ok, I put in the codes and they are flying us to MLE so that clears up the problem. Somebody told us that it would be a 1,5 hour speed boat ride for $35 each or a $#10 fairy ride that could take 4 to 5 hours or a sea plane for like $280. Is that correct and whats the pros and cons? Thanks. Aruba Bob

If you go in rain season, I recommend seaplane instead of speedboat or ferry as the sea may be too rough if it rains.

Speed boat can get v e r y rough during channel crossings. So if that can be an issue for you (it can for most when it’s wavy), go by seaplane. Just be aware that the seaplane transfers do need daylight (to come back to Male too) and they are pretty sensitive to weather/wind (won’t take off). So try to get a flight that lands in Male early. Afternoon arrival might force you to spend the first night in a guest house in Humhule (airport island) at your own expense. Expedia is good in many ways, but they are not quite on top of this sitiation. So in case you chose seaplane transfer, make sure you don’t get into Male too late. Try to make sure you have a healthy time margin.

Ok, Thanks a lot for that information!! I really appreciate that. Aruba Bob

Back
Top Bottom