flights from Cancun to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone every done the hop over from Cancun? Just wondering which airline and price. We have already booked our airfare for our May trip, dangit.

Southwest is now flying into Cancun everybody and the prices are really good!!!! Ron flies on Southwest for business about once a month so we have tons of free trips/mileage we could use.

robin

The airline is MAYAir (you could also search for "maya air", which is a common misspelling).

Several people here are fans.

Edit: I jumped to the Southwest website to see when this changed, but I still see no evidence that Southwest Airlines flies to Cancun. They say it's Airtran (which they now own) that flies to Cancun, and redirect you to the Airtran website.

Love the Mayair. I would suggest you DON'T use the online booking, but instead email them. I was getting the best price via chat, but I just booked Mayair in February and while the chat price was better than the website, it wasnt that good. I emailed and got a better price and booked. It is way simple.

We commonly do: CZM to CUN.
1. Negotiate the tickets.
2. Show up 30 minutes before the flight.
3. Bring the credit card used, so they can inspect it.
4. aggregate all your groups bags on the scale, including carryons, as there is no overhead storage. Try to keep your total under the total combined allowance. If over, negotiate.
5. Fly over. Allow a little extra time. I was taking the Mayair at 1100 from Coz for a 1240 flight at CUN. I made it several times, but it was WAY too close, so I am more careful now.
6. In CUN you go to the new small FBO terminal. Wheel the bags in and hand them out. Then you board free Lomas shuttles to your terminal.

I have done CUN to CZM when airtran cancelled my flight. For that:

1. Exit CUN customs and out of the building.
2. Find a guy in turquoise shirt and white pants. This should be a Lomas guy, some how part of the Mayair company.
3. Tell him you need a van to Mayair and he will get your free transport arranged.
4. If you are waiting a while, bring your own snacks. I am not sure of the new FBO, but the old waiting area had like one soda machine? Maybe a snack machine?
5. And of course no customs in CZM, you already did it.

Oh and there is a free bus in the airport from terminal to terminal. Don't use that, get a Lomas van.

We did sit on the Mayair plane on the runway a while in December. They did announce why, but the RPM were up and I could not hear why. I have heard of the occasional mechanical delay, but none of that is really any different than a big plane.

The airline is MAYAir (you could also search for "maya air", which is a common misspelling).

Several people here are fans.

Edit: I jumped to the Southwest website to see when this changed, but I still see no evidence that Southwest Airlines flies to Cancun. They say it's Airtran (which they now own) that flies to Cancun, and redirect you to the Airtran website.

yes, it is Airtran but it is owned by Southwest so I don't get your question. It was an announcement on network TV this week, all the major channels covered it. Southwest airlines made the announcement, they are now flying to Caribbean and Mexico.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2014 at 09:17 AM ----------

Love the Mayair. I would suggest you DON'T use the online booking, but instead email them. I was getting the best price via chat, but I just booked Mayair in February and while the chat price was better than the website, it wasnt that good. I emailed and got a better price and booked. It is way simple.

We commonly do: CZM to CUN.
1. Negotiate the tickets.
2. Show up 30 minutes before the flight.
3. Bring the credit card used, so they can inspect it.
4. aggregate all your groups bags on the scale, including carryons, as there is no overhead storage. Try to keep your total under the total combined allowance. If over, negotiate.
5. Fly over. Allow a little extra time. I was taking the Mayair at 1100 from Coz for a 1240 flight at CUN. I made it several times, but it was WAY too close, so I am more careful now.
6. In CUN you go to the new small FBO terminal. Wheel the bags in and hand them out. Then you board free Lomas shuttles to your terminal.

I have done CUN to CZM when airtran cancelled my flight. For that:

1. Exit CUN customs and out of the building.
2. Find a guy in turquoise shirt and white pants. This should be a Lomas guy, some how part of the Mayair company.
3. Tell him you need a van to Mayair and he will get your free transport arranged.
4. If you are waiting a while, bring your own snacks. I am not sure of the new FBO, but the old waiting area had like one soda machine? Maybe a snack machine?
5. And of course no customs in CZM, you already did it.

Oh and there is a free bus in the airport from terminal to terminal. Don't use that, get a Lomas van.

We did sit on the Mayair plane on the runway a while in December. They did announce why, but the RPM were up and I could not hear why. I have heard of the occasional mechanical delay, but none of that is really any different than a big plane.

Sounds like a hassle.
We are thinking now that this might be a good option, flying into Cancun, for doing a split trip - half mainland (Mayan ruins and cenotes) and half Cozumel diving. We would just take the ferry over and back in that case.

I booked a flight from Cancun to Coz with Mayair and ended up walking away without taking the flight. They wanted to charge me an additional $200 overweight for the same luggage that had just come off a UNited flight at no charge.
Next time I will either take the ferry from Playa or just reroute my7 vacation to Tulum like I did this year. Getting so sick of all the Mexican rip-offs I don't know if I even want to go back.

Well it is true that they have a weight restriction. EVERYONE mentions it. I don't think it is fair to call it a 'rip-off' when they post it right on the site:

[h=3]BAGGAGE
[/h][h=3]What's the policy on luggage weight allowance?[/h]44 pounds per person.

[h=3]How much for every extra pound?[/h]$3 USD plus tax for every extra pound.

[h=3]Are carry-ons accepted?[/h]Yes, one piece per person. It must not exceed the following dimensions: tall 14.5 in (37 cm), wide 10.6 in (27 cm), long 17.7 in (45 cm) and its weight shall not exceed 11 pounds (5 kilos).
All carry-on baggage must be stowed under the seat.

That would be like me showing up for my airtran flight and being pissed there wasnt a free back included.

And I don't know about the hassle? I emailed them for a price. They emailed me a price. I emailed back the info and they emailed the tickets at $49US. Minus the weight issues. Show up 30 minutes before your flight and get on the plane. Then they deliver you to your next plane. OR get off your big plane. Clear customs and get on the Lomas van. Fly to coz. Done.

You have like $30+ in the ferry and bus per person and 2 hours of your time. VS $49 and 20 minutes.

Well it is true that they have a weight restriction. EVERYONE mentions it. I don't think it is fair to call it a 'rip-off' when they post it right on the site:

[h=3]BAGGAGE
[/h][h=3]What's the policy on luggage weight allowance?[/h]44 pounds per person.

[h=3]How much for every extra pound?[/h]$3 USD plus tax for every extra pound.

[h=3]Are carry-ons accepted?[/h]Yes, one piece per person. It must not exceed the following dimensions: tall 14.5 in (37 cm), wide 10.6 in (27 cm), long 17.7 in (45 cm) and its weight shall not exceed 11 pounds (5 kilos).
All carry-on baggage must be stowed under the seat.

That would be like me showing up for my airtran flight and being pissed there wasnt a free back included.

And I don't know about the hassle? I emailed them for a price. They emailed me a price. I emailed back the info and they emailed the tickets at $49US. Minus the weight issues. Show up 30 minutes before your flight and get on the plane. Then they deliver you to your next plane. OR get off your big plane. Clear customs and get on the Lomas van. Fly to coz. Done.

You have like $30+ in the ferry and bus per person and 2 hours of your time. VS $49 and 20 minutes.

Yeah well I don't rent dive gear and my gear weighs what it weighs so flying to Coz is out for me.

That is good info... when I'm traveling light - Thanks. My wife does not dive and her checked bag weighs 50lbs. and I'll bet her carry on weighs 25. I bring my gear too which is 50lbs. if lucky and another bag so I have some clothing. I'm stuck with the ferry too.

What's the policy on luggage weight allowance?

44 pounds per person.

The 44 pounds (20 kilos) includes all your bags, including your dive gear, clothing bag, carry on and personal item bags (not like US Airlines that don't weigh your carryon and personal item bag). At that time they were using the old mechanical scales that moved around on 4 wheels (like they used to use in the old grain mills).. and they made you put all your bags on it for a total weight.

How much for every extra pound?

$3 USD plus tax for every extra pound.

It was $2.00 not long ago not $3.00 per pound (can't remember if it was per kilo or pound) but even at $2.00 it could add up to much more than the flight cost (each way).

Are carry-ons accepted?

Yes, one piece per person. It must not exceed the following dimensions: tall 14.5 in (37 cm), wide 10.6 in (27 cm), long 17.7 in (45 cm) and its weight shall not exceed 11 pounds (5 kilos). All carry-on baggage must be stowed under the seat.

When I flew them they weighed all bags as one total weight. I never saw anything that mentioned the 11 pound limit for the carry-on as a separate weight (but it could have been).

Also, your regular carry-on bag (not even overloaded) had to be checked because there was no way it would fit under the seat. There is no overhead storage and metal brackets holding the seats down were very narrow, both width and depth, leaving little room for even the personal item bag. I had to carry my personal item bag on my lap because as small as it was it wouldn't fit under the seat.

Not saying you are wrong, as things might have changed, just stating what it was like when I used to fly MayAir.

With all that said, they were very nice and very professional. The flight (once it got off the ground) was 15 minutes and you were there. The biggest hassle for the first time users of MayAir is finding them and changing terminals using the van or bus outside the main door.

On my return trip one of the MayAir employees saw that I had more bags than arms to carry them so he grabbed one of my bags and walked with me all the way out to the van, loaded my luggage into the van and would NOT accept a tip even when I tried to stuff it into his shirt pocket.

MayAir Plane Interior

yeah, not happening for us. We have 2 full bags of dive gear for 40 lbs each, then another bag for clothes for 30 lbs, plus 2 carryons and 2 personal bags.

The ferry would be the only way for us if we flew into Cancun. That sucks. Only way I would do that is if we rented a car and spent a day or two on the Mainland on one end or other of the trip, doing cenotes or ruins or both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom