Flight to Mainland from Cozumel, DCS risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyle:
I finally got the information back about the flights to Chichen Itza from CZM. The flights are at 6,000 feet altitude. Not as low as I thought!

Good! It's wise to research and plan...

It will be at least 18-20 hours after our last dives

I'd do it, if the diving has been all no-deco and no problme, and as long as I felt totally fine.

melfox26:
I'll be leaving for Coz in 2 weeks!!!!!!! Anyways, back to my question.

Has anyone taken the tour from Coz by plane to Chichen Itza? We're planning on going there the day before we leave Coz, after 5 days of diving with at least 12 dives spread over those 5 days. I'm assuming the plane won't be traveling as high as commercial aircraft going back to the states, so is there less of a DCS risk? It will be at least 18-20 hours after our last dives which I plan on asking the DM to stay shallow. Is there a significant risk of DCS? If there is, I'd probably take the ferry/bus to Chichen Itza, but it'd take all day.

I also have the option of diving Nitrox, which would help me, but my buddy is not Nitrox certified.

Thanks for your help,

Mel

My basic rule is that since diving is supposed to be fun, if there is a question about safety I opt for the safest thing.

In this case you are concerned about DCS after your diving trip. You have options of either taking the bus or not diving; either of which solves the problem very nicely. So, where is the question?

Why cause yourself even one minute of anguish?

Or, saying it another way: Suppose everyone on this Board gives your permission to fly after your dive trip (that is really what you are asking for) and you get bent. Is the pain and suffering really worth a couple extra dives?

So, keep it fun. Either don't dive, or take the bus. Besides you never know what adventures will befall you on a Mexican bus trip

If you want to really worry, the odds of getting killed or injured in a bus crash in Mexico are probably higher than the risk of DCS...

My rule of thumb: If it's safer than riding a bicycle, then don't worry about it!

jlyle:
If you want to really worry, the odds of getting killed or injured in a bus crash in Mexico are probably higher than the risk of DCS...

My rule of thumb: If it's safer than riding a bicycle, then don't worry about it!

I took this flight to chitzen itza a few years a go after several days of diving, however I took the day before the flight off of diving just to be safe. I had fun exploring the Island that day. The flight to Chitzen Itza is scary enough without the risk of DCS. I was sitting directly behind the copilot and the rain leaking in around the windshield kept hitting me in the face. That and the starboard engine nearly caught fire on take-off!

Bottom line... It's not worth the risk. It may not happen but it's not worth it if it does.

DrRobb
I don't play a doctor on TV, but I do in the hospital.

After careful discussions, research, and the knowledge of fellow divers such as yourselves, we've decided to go ahead and take the ferry/bus over. We're on vacation, supposed to be worry free, plus I'm there to dive and I'm not going to give that up to save some time.

Thank you all for your comments/suggestions.

Mel

How safe do you want to be? Don't ride in a vehicle or get in the water...

I try to operate relatively safely, but I will ride in a van or taxi if it has seat belts; I'm gonna' dive by the guidelines; and I'm gonn'a stop diving 12, 18, 24 hours before flying, depending on the diving. Multi-day diving, no decom - 18 hours.

I just got back from Cozumel....Was doing 2 days a day all non deco, flew to Chitz in a little Saab 6 seater which was great fun we didn't go over 3,500 feet the whole trip. Although they also had a bigger plane going which held about 25 people and apparantly went much higher...

Why not see if you can get your self a slot in the Saab...a bunch of people we met went on the bus and they hated it...left at 7 in the morning and got back at 10pm where as I was bakc in time for an afternoon dive :)

schford:
I just got back from Cozumel....Was doing 2 days a day all non deco, flew to Chitz in a little Saab 6 seater which was great fun we didn't go over 3,500 feet the whole trip. Although they also had a bigger plane going which held about 25 people and apparantly went much higher...

Why not see if you can get your self a slot in the Saab...a bunch of people we met went on the bus and they hated it...left at 7 in the morning and got back at 10pm where as I was bakc in time for an afternoon dive :)

Which tour company did you use? We were looking into InterMar Cozumel to use as our tour operator, as they offer both air and bus tours to Chichen Itza. Thanks

Mel

Back
Top Bottom