Flex Fuel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don, E85 has 30% less energy content than gasoline, so it makes sense that if you get 28-30 mpg on 'pure' gasoline, you'd expect to get about 20-21 mpg on E85. Here in the DFW, TX area, we are required to use E10 year-round. There is a movement afoot to 'move' us to E15, we don't yet know if E15 will replace E10, or if we will have the 'choice' of E10 or E15.

Yeah, I was afraid it'd go like it did. I get 28-30 on E10 or E15, whatever everyone else sells around here. I'd get another mpg on E0 if I stuck with it I suppose. I try to support better ecology, but I just don't see ethanol as an overall good idea. I guess I'm doing my part by driving 60 mph max, and I save 20% on gas that way.

Plainview E10/15: $3.27

Plainview E0: $3.15 if I'll drive to that side of town and mess with the payment method

Lubbock: E10/15: $2.92 - fill up anytime I go visit the kids. :eyebrow:

GM cars are certified to run on up to 10% ethanol
... anything over that is not supported or recommended - unless the vehicle is designated as Flex Fuel capable
... I find it interesting that the EPA can require extensive and costly testing by manufactures to guaranty their vehicles will meet emissions standards, for a minimum number of miles, and then arbitrarily change the fuel to one that they were never certified to run on, or to meet those emission standards with.

General Motors’ position regarding the Environmental Protection Agency announcement allowing the use of E 15 in 2007 and newer vehicles:

The vehicle Owner Manual specifies that fuels containing more than 10 percent ethanol should not be used in GM vehicles that do not have a flex fuel designation.

•
GM has the largest fleet of flex fuel vehicles on the road today (over 4 million in the U.S.) and these vehicles can safely use ethanol blends of up to 85 percent ethanol. So blends of E 15 (15 percent ethanol), as in the partial waiver announced, are appropriate for these vehicles. However, ethanol blends greater than E 10 should not be used in GM vehicles that do not have a flex fuel designation as they are not designed and certified to run on gasoline consisting of more than 10 percent ethanol-blend volume to avoid any unintended consequences, as per: their Owner Manual.

I thought the local pumps said that the gas could be up to 15% ethanol, but my memory is nothing to brag about. Maybe it is E10?

There are a lot of older cars on the road still, like my daughter's 2001 Impala - and I have to wonder if that's why she has a problem keeping it running at first? There is one station in Lubbock county listed with E0, but it's so out of the way for her - she wouldn't go for it. Any ideas?

may be .. A engine needs more fuel to cold start, and with E15, more fuel on top of that .. add in any restrictions due to deposits and it may be more than the injectors can supply and it's not getting enough .. of course, many things can make it hard to start cold, for instance an eng temp sensor may be skued, Mass Air Flow meter might be skued, etc

EPA now says that E15 is ok for 2001 and newer vehicles .. no mater what that vehicles manufactures says :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom