Flex / Folding Snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIGG_BUDD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hate my snorkel. I never use it, but don't want to ditch it "just in case" something were to go wrong.

I am considering purchasing either the Apollo Flex or Sherwood Avid folding snorkel. My question is...has anyone bought/used either of thes, and are they worth $30? Or are they just junk?

Later,

I just bought and used the Avid about a month ago. I like it, it stayed mostly dry during a sort of longer surface swim.

It has a positive locking mechanism either fully opened or fully closed. So it takes up the same amount of room in your pocket. Also it has a clip arrangement that allows you to snap it on your mask strap anytime. I even just folded it up and left it under my mask strap one dive.

It was exactly what I was looking for since previously I was just leaving my snorkel on the boat and I think it's a great idea.

Count me in as a yes, as well.

Great for satisfying any "requirement" that one have a snorkel.

Perfect for being comfortable in any surface swells/chop, awaiting pickup.

Useless for snorkeling/recreation.

Plus, they make a funny/cool noise when you deploy them.

Foldable snorkels are great if you want to take along a snorkle but not wear it.

I tried the Apollo Flex and it doesn't fold up very well, it's bulky, and they don't even supply anything to keep it folded so I had to make something. My husband uses it now as he has huge pockets he doesn't use for much else. It's actually a pretty good snorkel even for regular use but I don't reccommend it if the idea is to get something stowable.

I use the Aqualung Snap now, it rolls up pretty small into a little holder. No purge which is nice for extended snorkeling but that's the tradeoff. I haven't tried the Avid.

I have the avid, and only carry it when required to for a class... I really don't like the way it breathes, but I DO like the way it folds up - perfect size, but the corrugated hose on it makes it breathe too wet for my liking... I cannot clear the water out of it.

I'd go with the "roll up" style that is a simple tube which rolls up... if you wanted a snorkel for something other than meeting standards :wink:

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom