Flathead 7 and IP creep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbzep

Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought an IP gauge from DGX and checked my Flathead 7. The initial pressure reading was 150 psi. I'm aware that the gauge may be off, so I will see if I can get a comparison next time I'm around other divers.

When I hit the purge, the gauge dropped and recovered quickly to about 145 psi, then creeped up to 150 psi over the next ~10 seconds and stayed there. I did it several times, with the same results, then let it sit for about 20 minutes and it never climbed over 150 psi.

Let's go with the assumption that the gauge reads high, and/or that the Flathead 7 likes being higher than 135 psi. Is the recovery I described ok for this regulator?

Yes, it's ok. We all want our regs to lock up immediately and perfectly, but they frequently don't. As long as it stays put after reaching it's final IP, it's fine to dive. However, I doubt that a new IP gauge is 15 PSI off. Maybe as much as 5 PSI, but probably not more. So I bet your IP is pretty high. I suspect that the flathead has an externally adjustable IP, so you should be able to adjust it down. That will likely require some tuning of the 2nd stages though.

Yes, it's ok. We all want our regs to lock up immediately and perfectly, but they frequently don't. As long as it stays put after reaching it's final IP, it's fine to dive. However, I doubt that a new IP gauge is 15 PSI off. Maybe as much as 5 PSI, but probably not more. So I bet your IP is pretty high. I suspect that the flathead has an externally adjustable IP, so you should be able to adjust it down. That will likely require some tuning of the 2nd stages though.
Thanks for your help. The Zeagle 2nd stages breathe nice and easy, especially the primary. However, my OTS Guardian is like drinking a thick milkshake through a straw in comparison. I need to take the online tech course and see if I can get it to work better. Could the high IP adversely affect the OTS reg's breathing quality?

Got this from the Zeagle service manual for the Flathead VI.

"The optimal intermediate pressure for Zeagle regulators is 135 psi (9.3 bar), but any setting between 130 and
145 psi (9-10 bar) will provide good stable performance.."

Just had my wife's FH VII serviced IP was set on 135.

Got this from the Zeagle service manual for the Flathead VI.

"The optimal intermediate pressure for Zeagle regulators is 135 psi (9.3 bar), but any setting between 130 and
145 psi (9-10 bar) will provide good stable performance.."

Just had my wife's FH VII serviced IP was set on 135.
I just took a look at the VI manual. That would be an easy adjustment.

I wouldn't bother adjusting the IP from where it is. As long as it is holding stable which it is, it's not a problem. If you drop the IP, the second stage will have to get readjusted. I'd leave it and chill out until it starts creeping

There is an allowable degree of creep. This one is for the Apeks FSR_FST
upload_2016-7-7_21-23-3.jpeg

Maybe there are similar specs for the Flathead?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom