• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Flaska-Tank & gas calculation app

Discussion in 'Dive Software' started by jborg, Jan 6, 2021.

1. jborg

jborg Lurker ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I made a thing during the holidays, mostly for myself but I hope it might be useful for others as well. It's an app to calculate rock bottom gas and gas time given SAC & depth for various cylinders, and also buoyancy and transfills between cylinders. It takes gas compressibility into account (assuming air, currently). Right now it's for iOS but could also be published for Android. It's free, and it doesn't spy on you.

1s.png 2s.png

I'd be happy to hear if someone finds it useful or, if not, why not. :) Clearly this is for simple rec purposes only.

App store link: https://apple.co/3bexYgo

2. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    may want to ask the mods to change the title of the thread to "Flaska-Tank Gas Calculation App" so the name of the app is easier to find

3. BoltSnap

BoltSnap Contributor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    If you can publish it for the Android camp, it will be most fantastic. You are doing a lot of people a big favor and service.

4. jborg

Yeah and sorry for the obscure name, most names are already taken on the app stores. :) "Flaska" is tank/cylinder in Swedish...

5. rob.mwpropane

rob.mwpropane Contributor

+1

D_Fresh and rhwestfall like this.
  6. LanceRiley

LanceRiley Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    H
    hi im just taking my tech pass now. The bottom calculation for gas time, is the ascend time already deducted? So far everything on the upper part matches whats being taught. Im just not sure about the gas time. And whats RB?

7. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Again, another vote for Android implementation!

D_Fresh, rob.mwpropane and BoltSnap like this.
  8. Rygar

Rygar Contributor

Android and PC please :wink:

D_Fresh, rob.mwpropane and BoltSnap like this.
  9. jborg

Android is coming, it's in review with Google since yesterday. I haven't been able to test on any actual Android device so who knows, it might work.

The rock bottom section at the top shows what goes into the rock bottom gas volume. You can configure your SAC rate (of course) and the times and SAC multipliers for the various stages. By default it starts with four minutes at depth at four times SAC (two excited divers troubleshooting), ascent at the usual rate at four times SAC and a safety stop at two times SAC. This isn't entirely precise of course as part of the ascent is above the safety stop and perhaps should have a lower SAC, but it's minor. Since you can set the times in question you can remove the safety stop (zero minutes) if you don't want it as part of your calculation. Or lower the SAC multipliers if you want the calculation to apply to just yourself and not yourself plus a buddy, or whatever.

The above rock bottom gas volume then becomes the rock bottom pressure for each cylinder ("RB"). The gas time is the time at your normal SAC at the configured depth until you reach the rock bottom pressure figured from above.

For me, as a newbie switching around between different kinds of tanks, this has been useful in getting a feeling for what to expect in gas time and how much to keep in reserve with some sort of scientific basis behind it. OW rec only though, of course.

RainPilot likes this.
  10. Raphus

Raphus Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I am working on something similar atm. But got not enough time :D so it might take a while

Looks good i will try it out when its out for android.