Flash flood, now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
5 minutes into a quarry dive I noticed a stream of small bubbles coming from my sealife digital pro flash (on a DC 1200) which I have used a number of times before with no problem. I did an ascent, swam over to a rock sticking out of the water to provide a dry working area. Opened up flash and dumped probably half a cup of water out. Closed it back up. Swam back to entry holding flash out of water and put camera back in the car with the back open so that the flash could drain and dry out.

This is fresh water.

So now what? I am still not sure of the source of the leak. The seals look fine but they are probably a couple years old.

Can I just replace the seals and use the camera once it has had a good chance to dry?

Is the flash toast?

Will it eventually corrode?

Thanks

Steve

PS: It was used on 4 ocean dives only 3 weeks ago with no problems.

Sounds like the O-ring was not in place. I've never flooded a camera, but I did that to a strobe once - in saltwater, so it was toast.

Run to K-mart and get a quart of Damprid and pack it in that for several hours, or a day - then vacuum it and leave it off for a few days. Lots of sources around the net suggest rice or other ideas, followed by alcohol soaking. If you google wet electronics you get various ideas.

I do hope you left it turned off, never tried to test fire it, and pulled the batteries quickly.

dry it, clean off any corrosion thats already happened with something like a soft brush, WD-40 it and pray it'll live a bit longer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom