Flash Deflector and Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I have a Canon Powershot S95 in an Ikelite housing with two YS-01 strobes. I use a flash deflector on my housing so that the internal flash doesn't flood the image. Recently I've read some posts where people use black tape on the inside of their housing so that the internal flash light doesn't affect the image and lead to backscatter.

The question is: Do I still need to tape up the inside of my housing or does the deflector prevent the internal flash from affecting my photos (i.e., using only strobe and natural light)?

Thanks.

The reason for taping the inside is to keep the light from the flash from getting into the clear plastic of the housing. Once it gets into the clear plastic, it travels within the plastic and you have no control over where it comes back out. And it really doesn't take much tape, just enough to cover the sight lines of the flash. Ref: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/st...lash-canon-s95-inon-s-2000-a.html#post6238156

So to confirm, you're saying that even with a deflector, I should still tape up the inside of my housing?

First, what is it you are calling a "deflector". Are you referring to the white translucent piece (the diffuser) or are you talking about a black opaque plastic shade? And as to whether you need to tape or not is all a matter of whether you are having a problem with backscatter or stray light in your images. It really makes no sense to apply a solution if you're not having a problem.

It's called a "deflector" on the Ikelite page. It's shaped like the diffuser, but it's completely opaque (and it's white). It's put right behind the lens, i.e., on the second ring (PRO-2800 LED Light System - view the third photo for the deflector). Thus, it reflects the flash back at the photographer.

To answer your question, yes, sometimes I have problems with backscatter. The problems, in my opinion, stem from particles/visibility and strobe placement, as opposed to light from inside the camera (due to the deflector).

Therefore, the question would be, even with the deflector, is it possible for light from the internal flash to negatively affect photographs, or should the deflector prevent that?

To find the answer to your last question can really only be achieved through testing. In a dark room with the camera fully assembled but the strobe turned off take a photo about 2 feet from a wall using a wide angle setting. Any light you see in the photo can affect your underwater images. (Only direct light matters, ignore all bounce light off ceiling etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom