FL or GA sites where I can bring students to complete Open Water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe look north - Express in Murrell's Inlet (south Myrtle Beach) seems like an outside instructor friendly option. There's a few 40' or less dive sites they go to. Express Water Sports - Myrtle Beach Scuba, 843-357-7777 - Group Charters

Isn't that about a 2hr. drive?

Good idea. It is right at 2 hours. If you have a group you might well be able to do your own charter. For those going on you can do boat specialty also. I dove with them once. Seemed like a good operation. If you want to do a weekend on the cheap there are campgrounds nearby in either direction.

Sounds like you've got plenty of recommendations already but I thought I would throw out an Alabama site too... Dive Alabama in a city called Pelham. Yeah, it's a rock quarry but it's got some interesting things to look at, including a school bus and several cars and sunken boats. They have some nice platforms to demonstrate skills on... And no current guaranteed!

JMO: While Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, and all the springs are great dive sites I find it hard to believe that one would travel there to conduct "Open Water" check outs. Student divers face none of the challenges of a real open water dive, I've been to all of these sites and they are like being in a swimming pool. The reason I say this is we very often have divers aboard our boat who were certified under these kind of conditions and they are in many cases overwhelmed by real open water conditions. Give them a wave breaking over their head, a face full of salt water, or a wind driven surface current to deal with and they are lost to near panic. While each instructor must choose for him/herself how they conduct training and the conditions which meet the standards for open water, I submit that most of the sites mentioned above should be considered confined water locations.
You understand that some divers don't EVER want a wave breaking over their head right? They ONLY want conditions that are as calm as bathtub water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom