FL Keys Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cap_bert

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to the keys May 10-16. We are both new divers looking for a good time. I have more experience than she, but we both have less than 30 dives each. We are looking to do 2 days of diving. In a perfect world the first day would be shore dives so my GF can get comfortable (it has been 7 months since her last dive), and the second day would be boat dives. I am not at all opposed to 2 days of boat diving, if the shore isn't really an option, but would like to go to some easy sites for the above reasons. Any advice, operators, locations or thoughts would be most appreciated. Thank you for all of your help in advance.

a cold water diver...looking for warm water

The reef system in the keys is pretty shallow and excellent beginner diving. There really isn't any good shore diving so you'll be looking at boat dives for both days.

Before anyone can give you any advice as to operators (although I highly recommend myself) it would help to know what part of the keys you're going to want to visit. There's 110 miles difference between Key Largo and Key West.

Rachel

Fair Enough and Sorry for the lack of info. At the moment i think we will split our time in Key Largo and Key West. As of now we have no set-in-stone plans so it is pretty open. We are coming in to Ft Lauderdale, so i think Key Largo will be the first stop. Thanks for such a quick response.

cap_bert:
Fair Enough and Sorry for the lack of info. At the moment i think we will split our time in Key Largo and Key West. As of now we have no set-in-stone plans so it is pretty open. We are coming in to Ft Lauderdale, so i think Key Largo will be the first stop. Thanks for such a quick response.
There's a pretty good beach dive at Commercial Pier in Lauderdale By The Sea (North Fort Lauderdale). Why not do a tune-up dive there before heading down to the Keys?

Cap_Bert...You're not unlike a lot of the divers looking to dive the Keys for the first time. Our reef system starts about 3 miles offshore and it makes for a long swim if you want to leave from shore, however the boat drive to these reefs is not that bad and most of the dive operators have great crews on board that will help both you and your wife understand the dive site, as well as, how to get off and back on their boats.

As for an operator when you talk to one be sure to let them know your a novice diver so they can put you on a trip that will suit your level of experience. A lot of operators book their boats according to the first person to book the boat and then book reservations around that first caller. Having said that there are a lot of reefs from Islamorada to Key Largo and in Key West that would be perfect for you and your wife. Here is a website that will list a bunch of dive operators in the Upper Keys who are all members of the Upper Keys Association of Dive & Snorkel Operators.

Also most dive operators can get you a better than advertised rate for lodging so be sure to ask about that when you start calling. Let me know if you need anymore information. Good luck and welcome to the Florida Keys.

Good Diving,

cap_bert:
Any advice, operators, locations or thoughts would be most appreciated. Thank you for all of your help in advance.

a cold water diver...looking for warm water

I recently dove with Conch Republic Divers after meeting them at the Beneath the Sea show in New Jersey. I don't have any affiliation with them but would highly recommend them to you and your wife. They run a safe operation that keeps on schedule and accomodates all the different divers without making you forget that you're on vacation and looking for a good time. The boat captain we dove with most often did an excellent job with a site orientation briefing allowing every diver to enjoy a superior dive experience within their level of skill and experience. We dove both wrecks and reefs. Cap'n Gary mentioned the reefs being about three miles out but didn't tell you that their boats are about as close to their shop as physically possible and the shop is about as close to the open water as you could hope for. All around, I'd give them high marks for divers of every stripe - be sure to let the Captain or mate of your boat know your level of experience and that you're new to boat diving and the keys and they will make sure to pay particular attention to your needs.

If money isn't really a barrier, you could do all your dives as boat dives. Just ensure that the first trip is planned to shallow reefs rather than the wreck of the Duane. CRD has staff instructors or divemasters who would be glad to dive with you if you'd ask for that as well. I saw several people diving with an instructor while we were there.

I think it's safe to say that just about every dive operator who has been in business for a little while would strive to meet your needs, if you'll let them know what you are looking for. Call around a little bit, check their online boat trip schedule and dive in for a good time!

There is good, easy diving in the Keys, but you need to know that most dive shops do not send a divemaster in the water with you unless you arrange for one and pay extra in advance. You jump off the boat with your buddy and are expected to find the reef and your way back to the boat all by yourself. If you have only been diving on trips with dive guieds, diving alone for teh first time can be very disconcerting.

Since your girlfriend has not been diving much, I recommend that you hire a dive guide. That way he or she can point out the cool critters and do the navigation and you can relax and enjoy the dive.

looe key is the only one offering a 3 tanker as far as I know, they start at 10:00 and finish at 15:00.

However.... 3 hours in the water with 10 minutes between dives is a bit hard, it doesn't matter that its 25 max depth.
(I'm still sick from last weekend... I got a cold and was wearing 3mm full wetsuit in 79F)

You can always go to 2 dive trips of 2 tanks if you feel you're up to it.

Capt Gary:
Also most dive operators can get you a better than advertised rate for lodging so be sure to ask about that when you start calling. Let me know if you need anymore information. Good luck and welcome to the Florida Keys.

Good Diving,

I'm diving with Conch Republic next week. He's right when he said they can get better rates. I had a rate quote from one place and called them (Conch Republic). They got us in the same place and saved me enough money to pay for one day's diving.

I agree with using a guide, and I would also suggest looking for a smaller boat, less than 10 divers or so. They cost more but you get more options as far as dive sites, more special attention if you need it, and the operators generally go along with the divers, a service you would have to pay extra for on a boat of 20+ divers. I just got back from Key Largo last week with my wife and 12 year old son who were only looking to snorkel. I knew this was going to limit my diving but I wanted to make sure they had a good time and would want to go back next year, so I looked for an operator who could accomodate all of us. The first operator I spoke to didn't want to discuss any of these details. I found out later they took out 22 divers each trip and had their hands full just getting people in and out of the water. I then hooked up with Pleasure Divers, maximum of 6 divers, captains Don and Jan were both dive masters and went along with the group. Couldn't have worked out better.

Good luck and good diving....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom