Fl Keys accident reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiver1972:
They didn't run a line because permanent lines had already been run prior to the sinking.

There are no permanent lines run to the area where the divers were found. There aren't any cave lines from previous divers either. The hatch these divers descended into after just entering the wreck was origionally welded shut to prevent entry into that area. It was broken open after it's sinking.
The permanent lines you're refering to are 1" polypro lines that run through some portions of the wreck. Every compartment these lines run through have a visible egress to open water and none are placed below the main deck of the ship.

Interesting stats on 2005 and 2006 fatalities:

Over the two-year period: 27 fatalities
15 fatalities were Scuba related
7 Scuba fatalities from private vessels
8 Scuba fatalities from commercial vessels
Observations:

The Scuba related deaths, if you look closely, seem to be more related to emergency ascents and improper ascent rates caused by improper training or panic (One diver bolted for the surface and tank had 1,573 psi remaining after incident...that almost certainly was panic related).

Also, notice that only one of the Scuba fatalities were attributed to equipment failure and that was on a technical dive.

Additionally, if you consider that vastly more scuba divers are diving off commercial boats than private (8 com. deaths to 7 private), the dive ops overall are possibly doing an outstanding job when it comes to safety. At the least, much better than we perhaps give them credit for.

Finally, the most startling statistic is the snorkeler deaths and the post concerning the lack of physical conditioning being the cause certainly rings true, even more so than in regards to the scuba fatalities.

Considering the number of divers that vacation in the Keys, this is actually a very good safety record.

It also points to something that one should not overlook, and that is comfort in the water. The majority of the deaths (both snorkelers and divers) were from over exertion or panic. The reality is there is no reason to wear your self out, or freak out either UW or snorkeling.

More time spent in the water prior to a vacation is the Key before doing so on vacation. Those that don't routinely dive locally should consider doing so even if it's at the local pool. When things do go wrong UW, it becomes very dangerous very quickly, and having buoyancy skills, and the comfort of being familiar with gear and being UW I think is what will may help reduce issues when they arise.

I think Ron has hit on a very good point. Whether you plan to snorkel or dive, you should get some time in the water in advance of vacation. Very simple skills like blowing tiny bubbles while ascending in the deep end of a pool, clearing a mask, or dumping a weight belt can establish vizualization and muscle memory. Snorkelers, don't be shy to bring a mask, snorkel and fins to your health club pool...and use them. Just spending a few days swimming a pool, underwater, treading water, etc. can help acclimate your body to the water environment you will encounter.

Personally, I love to dive wrecks, 85-90 ft. drift dives in Cozumel, etc. But my first dive is always either a shore dive or a shallow 20-25 ft. reef as we find in the Keys. I don't explore or even focus on the fish. It's a checkout dive. I like an equally shallow dive on that 2 tank trip for the second dive to work on "advanced" skills such as navigation, etc. I equate this to an athelete doing stretching excercises before the game. My next trip to Key Largo is June 15 for a week. The Sp. Grove or Eagle aren't going anywhere and can wait until day 2 before taking a visit.

Back to these 2005 and 2006 fatalities report. would it be reasonable to suggest that both snorkelers and divers possibly didn't do anything to physically and mentally prepare, to get acclimated, to the water enviroment and simply "jumped in," resulting in the "overexertion" and "panic" comments we see on the reports?

Marvel:
I'm sorry, I must disagree with your statement. Even throwing out the poor gear options & the rule of thirds violation that you cite, if a diver is known to have "extremely poor buoyancy control," as you stated, he is most definitely NOT qualified for wreck penetration since the interior of a wreck contains not only silt, but also rust & other elements which can be easily be dislodged to cause a black out situation.

Com'on Marvel, he had the "right" card, he must be qualified. I wonder if the card was issued by one of his instructor buddies that was on the dive with him? :huh:

Additionally looking at these 2006 stats, four were during a two day period near the end of July. Just my opinion but mini-season needs to go away. :popcorn:

Mini-season is one of the social highlights of southern Florida. So what that it's a clusterschlup out there and a few people die? Last time I checked, participation was still voluntary, and Florida is just as crowded as ever.
People depend on this event to feed their children - I guess maybe you don't have a problem with little tiny children wasting away because mommy or daddy couldn't go out for mini-season to get them a few lobsters.
Maybe you should ban the Columbus Day Regatta while you're at it to prevent overexposure to excessive displays of exposed pulchritude. That can cause heart attacks too.

Me, I'm all for freedom.
Freedom to screw up and die included.
Rick

...are a great learning tool. I include a general discussion of them with my o/w & rescue classes, where we read through several incidents & analyse them. Very sobering knowledge, particularly for the neophytes.

D.A.N. is an excellent rersource for such information, as is the B.S.A.C. - YOU CAN REVIEW THEIR DATA FOR 2006 HERE:

http://www.bsac.org/page/805/incident-report-2006.htm

Best,
DSD

waynel:
Interesting stats on 2005 and 2006 fatalities:

Over the two-year period: 27 fatalities
15 fatalities were Scuba related
7 Scuba fatalities from private vessels
8 Scuba fatalities from commercial vessels
Observations:

The Scuba related deaths, if you look closely, seem to be more related to emergency ascents and improper ascent rates caused by improper training or panic (One diver bolted for the surface and tank had 1,573 psi remaining after incident...that almost certainly was panic related).

Also, notice that only one of the Scuba fatalities were attributed to equipment failure and that was on a technical dive.

Additionally, if you consider that vastly more scuba divers are diving off commercial boats than private (8 com. deaths to 7 private), the dive ops overall are possibly doing an outstanding job when it comes to safety. At the least, much better than we perhaps give them credit for.

Finally, the most startling statistic is the snorkeler deaths and the post concerning the lack of physical conditioning being the cause certainly rings true, even more so than in regards to the scuba fatalities.

Maybe it is just too easy to get to Florida to scuba dive, and so the divers who go there are not always as serious about preparation as those to other mecca locations like Hawaii or Mexico? And since Florida is so beautiful, they simply cannot resist the attraction.

But this much I have gathered for myself from the above discussion:

1) I will be diving off a commercial boat in Florida
2) I will avoid the Spiegel Grove
3) I will continue jogging every day before I show up in Florida
4) No snorkeling.

:D

I dove the Spiegel Grove a few months ago with Horizon Divers. What a blast. The current was outlandish and the chop was actually waves. The DM had us empty our BC's and told us to grab the line, whatever we did. Going down the line, hand over hand, we were like flags in the wind because of the strong current. At about 50 feet it calmed down and on the deck of the ship there was little current to deal with. We were able to enter the wheelhouse and a couple of nearby compartments and then it was time to surface. Another hand over hand and deco stop and then the adventure of getting back on the boat. That beat the hell out of the next dive, a 25 footer in calm water. But I can see how a diver could get in a panic on a dive like that if he/she was prone to freaking when a problem arose. Anyway, I'm going back for some more as soon as my shoulder gets well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom