Fl Diver visiting Huntsville 11/4 - Anyone want to dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giles45shop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

I am a Florida (Tampa) diver and just found out I will be traveling to the Huntsville/Decatur area on Sunday for a couple days.

Just wondering if there are any diving spots in this area and if anyone would be interested in diving w/ me. I arrive Huntsville airport at noon, so Sunday afternoon is my only possibility for diving.

I'm a relatively new diver (49 dives) w/ my own gear (BP/W, long hose) and pretty good bouyancy control. I've had a great time meeting and diving w/ other Scubaboard members in SoCal and Chicago, so I thought I'd try Alabama diving.

Anyone who might be interested or have some suggestions, please PM me.

Thanks,

John

All,

I am a Florida (Tampa) diver and just found out I will be traveling to the Huntsville/Decatur area on Sunday for a couple days.

Just wondering if there are any diving spots in this area and if anyone would be interested in diving w/ me. I arrive Huntsville airport at noon, so Sunday afternoon is my only possibility for diving.

I'm a relatively new diver (49 dives) w/ my own gear (BP/W, long hose) and pretty good bouyancy control. I've had a great time meeting and diving w/ other Scubaboard members in SoCal and Chicago, so I thought I'd try Alabama diving.

Anyone who might be interested or have some suggestions, please PM me.

Thanks,

John

Hi John. How about and advance welcome to Alabama! Unfortunately, this time of year, local diving is limited except for Saturdays. I think Alabama Bluewater is open on Saturdays until November 17, when they go on their much abbreviated winter schedule.

You are always welcome to drop by our shop in Decatur and say hello. We are open from 9AM until 6PM Monday through Saturday.

Maybe MikeS or some of the other locals can chime in and make some suggestions. Thanks and again, welcome to Alabama.

Phil Ellis

with mots of the local quarries closed due to 'stuff' (politics, construction, forsale, etc). not many places to dive except the river. Yet there are a few brave souls who have to get wet and dive the river, but it sure ain't the ocean.

Too bad Madison is closed. Not many places you can dive on a bunch of NASA stuff besides there. You would have liked that.

Martha's quarry outside Nashville will be open most likely, but you need to confirm first. Moulton Quarry is only about 30-45 minutes west of Decatur, but I heard it's under new ownership/management and not sure if it's open this late in the year or not.

Bluewater will be hard to do after work since it's 1.5 to 2 hours away. They are closed I think mon and tues and maybe the whole week until saturdays depending on their schedule flip. (They are also closing for the winter in a couple more weeks, only to be open about 4 saturdays during the whole winter).

Stop by Phils shop. They've got good deals on stuff and great customer service.

I'll send some folks some email/PM and see if anyone is going to try to go anywhere for diving in the next week or so.

mike

Drive to the AL coast or the FL panhandle, its a bit of a drive, but plenty of diving at either!

All,

Thanks for the inputs! Doesn't sound like there's much of a chance to dive on this trip as it would be a 2 hour drive to Bluewater and 2 hrs back on Sunday, and the other places are not open.

I'm definitely going to try and stop in Phil's shop, I'm familiar w/ it from both SB and TDS. I have a business meeting most of the day Monday in Cullman, but staying in Decatur and then I fly back out Tuesday early AM, so Monday late afternoon is my only chance.

Maybe next time I'll fly into Birmingham instead, which would work out a little better

If you’re arriving at noon Sunday and Sunday afternoon is your only possibility for diving, then driving to the coast is out. Alabama Blue Water Adventures, a quarry in Pelham (Birmingham), will be about your only spot to get in a dive. It's about a one and a half hour drive from Huntsville.

Like Phil and Mike suggested, if you get a chance pop over to Decatur and check out Dive Sports. If nothing else, you get to meet some great folks and a few scuba dogs.

Note: Well John we must have been typing at the same time. Enjoy your trip and maybe I'll be one of the dogs you see at Dive Sports.

Rocketman, Philmontrek.

I think that James A. is wanting to go down to ABWA sunday afternoon, if you wnat to go.

I send giles45shop his email address via PM as I don't think that James is on Scubabard.

FYI... so there there is diving going on around 'these parts' on Sunday.

Well Mike, I'd like to go diving Sunday, but it all depends on how much I can widdle down the old honey-do list on Saturday...If I do, I'd rather be there first thing when they open so I can get in 4 or 5 dives. I hate driving down just to get in 1 or 2 dives.

Back
Top Bottom