Fix old computer or take discount and buy a new one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The computer is oil filled. The battery leads are welded to the battery and then soldered to the circuit board, so no "contacts".

Scubapro's explanation makes no sense.

Ah. No, it doesn't then: it could happen with a bad weld but then it shouldn't've lasted that many years.

That's funny, I dive with both a Leonardo and an air integrated Puck. I like them both just fine.

And? Wrist Puck Pro is usually $25 less than the Leo, more (as in even less) if you add the d/l kit. Whereas i200 is more computer for (currently) the same money.

Where the battery meets the circuit. The contact points tend to oxidate and even burn, after 17 years I would not be at all surprised if they were kaput.
I came across it once(also Aladin). All I did was to use a short length of fine wire to link up between the battery's pin and the respective circuit on the pcb. To charge over $100.00 for such a simple job is robbery. But then it is Scubapro.
A fine solder iron and quality solder is a must.

I am curious. If the computer is still working, why trash it?
Did you read OP? $145 to get it working, and trade-in discount offered. So two questions in one.

I call BS on the "pins are so bad". Pins? What pins? Scubapro just does not want to do it. I would ask for clarification. You have a lifetime battery replacement. Make them fulfill their promise.

A replacement battery is around $15. Getting someone else to do it is $50:
Uwatec battery replacement service
I agree. Sounds like a dive shop trying to trick @jcm into buying a new computer. Not that there's anything wrong with upgrading, but you should upgrade because you want to.. not because someone else decided they needed some of your cash.

I agree. Sounds like a dive shop trying to trick @jcm into buying a new computer. Not that there's anything wrong with upgrading, but you should upgrade because you want to.. not because someone else decided they needed some of your cash.

The trick is if you open the computer, drain the oil, and assess the validity of their "bad pins" claim, I'm pretty sure you've lost their trade-in offer. So your choices are buy a new computer on their upgrade offer, or open the old computer, possibly find that it's indeed not fixable, or fail to re-assemble it properly and kill it on the next dive. And then you're back to buying a new computer.

The trick is if you open the computer, drain the oil, and assess the validity of their "bad pins" claim, I'm pretty sure you've lost their trade-in offer. So your choices are buy a new computer on their upgrade offer, or open the old computer, possibly find that it's indeed not fixable, or fail to re-assemble it properly and kill it on the next dive. And then you're back to buying a new computer.
Or send it to an expert Uwatec battery replacement service
And have the battery replaced for $50?

Also speaking with the shop owner he seemed to be a much bigger fan of the suunto brand and really seemed to prefer the D5 but that would cost about 400 more since I would not get the scuba pro discount.

this is as reasonable offer

The battery was dead so I sent it back to Scuba pro since it has the lifetime battery program, but they discovered that the pins are bad so it would cost 145 to repair them. They also said that they would offer a 25% discount towards a new computer If I decided to go that direction.

Thanks heaps for the link JoeFriday I really appreciate it
and for those who don't have a link app on their dumb phone

I have made a brief information upload from the link

Scubapro no longer services the Monitor 1, 2, 2+ or Monitor 3. The 2+ and 3 computers require hookup to a device to wake it up and reset battery level meter. Scubapro has determined it is no longer economical to service but we are able with high success to service these computers for less. Send them to us!

Most Scubapro Uwatec dive computers are oil filled and must be sent out for battery maintenance. We now replace these computer batteries in our shop for less. If your computer is not pictured does not mean we can do it.

Scubapro no longer replaces these Uwatec batteries. They will destroy your computer, remove parts, and offer you a discount on a new one.

Cost if done at BRADY $50 for oil filled. (includes battery, reset and test. Log data retained in most cases.)

Old transmitter exchange for new battery replaceable type $240

Smart series computers sold in the US had a lifetime free battery replacement policy which required it be sent to Scubapro through a dealer (example Smart Com, Smart Pro, Smart Tec). Scubapro will no longer honor this policy. We are not a Scubapro dealer and do not honor this program but we can replace the battery

What is the success rate?

If the dive computer was working properly before the battery went dead, there is a very high success rate with changing the battery. Occasionally, a computer has failed and caused the premature failure of the battery for which we cannot repair. If the computer cannot be repaired, we will only charge you for return shipping. If you have already removed the battery yourself, we will attempt the repair however the success rate can be lower and cost may be higher.

We now pressure test every instrument we replace a battery in. Sometimes we find the accuracy of the computer is not what it should be and we will note that on the paper work. If way out of specification, we will call you.

It is difficult to get all the small air bubbles out of oil filled computers. Although we are quite successful at this, small bubbles may appear with time. These will in no way hinder the operation, reliability, or readability of the display and can be ignored.

Newer Smart series Uwatec computers have a simulated battery timer that we can now reset to 99%. (Smart Pro, Smart Tec, Smart Com, Nitrox Z, etc.) Battery life will be 4-7 years.

Scubapro has bricked many Smartcoms. They will then offer you a discount on a new Galileo. If this is not acceptable, do not send your Smartcom to another dive shop or Scubapro. We have been able to revive many bricked computers at no or no or slight additional cost.

Terry Brady and wife Judy owned Brass Anchor Scuba Center in Maryland for 27 years. After relocating in Florida, I have continued the servicing of the Uwatec and other dive computers. I have 32 years experience in the electronics instrumentation industry working for Tektronix. I also have experience in small engine, scuba compressors, scuba gear repair, and crewed for a NC dive boat.

Back
Top Bottom