Fix old computer or take discount and buy a new one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll echo the others, get a new computer. I'd either opt for a cheap i200 or Puck, or if you don't mind spending a chunk of money, get a Perdix.

Either way, make sure you understand how to use your new computer, and what it's telling you to do when underwater...

Do NOT get the M2. You will regret it. POS.

I hope you dont mind me chiming in here. I kind of went through this same dilemma not to long ago. I bought an aqualung i300 online from divers direct. (Great company) my depth sensor went out and I took it to my local dive shop for help. They supposedly dove with my computer (at the time it was still in warranty with aqualung) I did not dive again until it was just out of warranty and lo and behold the same problem occured. Now its out of warranty, my local dive shop will not help because I didnt buy it from them. Aqualung didnt want to help but divers direct did. I had to pay a discounted rate but I got the i300c and am more than satisfied. Moral of the story is this. Buy to your comfort zone and ensure the purchase is covered by the manufacturers warranty. There are some online dealers who are not recognized by the manufacturer.

All that said, remember back when you first purchased your "new" dive computer and how excited you were when you got it? Well my friend you got your moneys worth out of your old equipment. Time for a new one. hope you find a good deal and hope it lasts as long as your old one. Be safe

Glenn

If the computer was working before the battery died, tell them to replace the battery only. After the computer dies, you can probably find a new one at the "discounted" price or less.

I call BS on the "pins are so bad". Pins? What pins?

Where the battery meets the circuit. The contact points tend to oxidate and even burn, after 17 years I would not be at all surprised if they were kaput.

I like the Cressi Leonardo, less than $200 at LeisurePro, and it has a user-changeable battery, so you will never need to "send it in" again for a battery change. Battery is just a couple of bucks, you can buy one at pretty much any pharmacy or hardware store.

I own one and while there's nothing wrong with it, at this point I'd buy either a mares puck or one of the $200 pelagics on sale. Either way you get more computer, and with the puck: for less money.

I call BS on the "pins are so bad". Pins? What pins? Scubapro just does not want to do it. I would ask for clarification. You have a lifetime battery replacement. Make them fulfill their promise.

A replacement battery is around $15. Getting someone else to do it is $50:
Uwatec battery replacement service

This.
I have done one myself.
Not sure wth they are referring to.

Where the battery meets the circuit. The contact points tend to oxidate and even burn, after 17 years I would not be at all surprised if they were kaput.
The computer is oil filled. The battery leads are welded to the battery and then soldered to the circuit board, so no "contacts".

Scubapro's explanation makes no sense.

There are lots of older computers of this design that are still going strong.

I own one and while there's nothing wrong with it, at this point I'd buy either a mares puck or one of the $200 pelqagics on sale. Either way you get more computer, and with the puck: for less money.

That's funny, I dive with both a Leonardo and an air integrated Puck. I like them both just fine. Their algorithms are different, so if I am ever pushed into deco, I make a point of clearing both computers -- though I usually follow the Leonardo as my primary computer, as it sits my wrist and it's easier to refer to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom