Fix for Pro Plus 2 with 2.2.5 software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hodge Podge

Contributor
Reaction score
The new version 2.2.5 set off virus protection in trying to do auto update. I can find no way to turn if off the auto update. The program crashes and fouled all my dives I had logged.

I have a Pro Plus 2 and three Veo 250’s for the family. After years of frustration with the software and the download plug, I finally found a fix. I bought a Liquivision X1 Dive Computer which will soon have the air integration. Problem solved.

One Pro Plus 2 for sale with quick disconnect.

Hmm, It would have been far easier to set your antivirus to ignore Oceanlog or enter an exception to the software that allows it to autodownload.

What antivirus are you using. I have computers set up with Nortons antivirus and Avast home and neither is a problem with Oceanlog.

Seems like dumping a good dive computer because your antivirus software doesn't work properly is a waste when new antivirus software is a lot less expensive than a new DC.

I use McAfee Anti-virus (free with comcast cable) and do not have any false positive problems with the anti-virus. It sounds like you already moved on but it would be handy to know what anti-virus you use so the problem can be fixed.

Hardy an dive computer issue, more a desktop computer issue.

I use Ad-Aware and have for years with no problem. To be specific the program sees the auto update as a malicious object and goes into a scan to eliminate it. That is what I have the virus software for. There is no place to accept this object as it is already is the malicious list.

I also run Windows Live on a second computer and it has a similar problem with the 2.2.5 auto update. Did not have the problem with versions 2.2.3 or others.

My main gripe is that I am/was a hardcore Oceanic customer. I have several thousands of dollars of their equipment. BC’s Reg’s, Octo’s , Computers, and gauges. I chose the Pro Plus 2 for the large display, as my eyes are not what they were when I was younger. I still like the computer except for the data connection that was been a problem from day one and the fact the first one I had flooded on the first dive.

I was at a dive show last month and the new Pro Plus 2 has the same connection. This to me would be a simple design fix for Oceanic, but they have chosen not to fix it. This to me is poor customer satisfaction\service. The 1 in 10 rule should apply.

The Ocean Log software has never been right in any of the versions and although I can dive without it, I like to be able to download my dives. In the first version, I was able to open the log files in Microsoft Access and make my own display of the dives. But that no longer works in the any of the newer versions.

The software is a very weak area for Oceanic and after downloading the latest 2.2.5 and loosing all my dives for 8 divers I can no longer support them as a customer.

This is not an issue with my computer, virus software, or user error. This is solely a failure on Oceanic’s part. The simple fact you can not turn off the auto update feature is a big problem.

Let the flaming begin.

I agree the $100 data cable could be a lot better designed.
Its really a "PITA" sometime to get the data imported.

While I agree the download adapter could be better it is functional.
As for Oceanlog I used Adaware with earlier versions without the false positive.
I am familiar with the software and there is the option of telling Adaware to ignore.
I have not used Windows Live due to it being a notoriously poor product but again you should be able to tell it to ignore Oceanlog's auto update activity.
I'm not trying to flame you in any way but my suggestion is to learn to use the Adaware and Windows live software packages better.
Your problems seem to stem not from Oceanlog but from your other software and not being able to adjust the scanner to ignore software products that you want to use.
This problem will effect your use of other software that auto updates in the future so learn how to deal with it now.
I have been one of the people that complained most about earlier versions of Oceanlog but since version 2.2.4 I have been satisfied in it's function and have found it to be stable as well.
Blaming Oceanlog is simple but if you like the computer I can tell you that it will work if you either set your other software properly or remove it.

Hodge Podge I buy it for $10 since it such a bad product or are you going to try and sell it for more than and be a hypocrite that because of user error and your PC.

I do agree the data connection is bad, which I have been complaining about since it came out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom