Five drifters rescued after six hours - Seychelles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Myself, I'd be aiming as soon as I saw the plane....

"The agency takes enforcement action against those who violate Federal Aviation Regulations by shining lasers at aircraft, imposing civil penalties of up to $11,000 per violation."

Might be worth it if lost at sea, don't know what penalties other countries have.

Those itty bitty lasers are good for playing with your cat.

If you want to get a pilot’s attention using a laser, you’re going to want a maritime hailing laser.

"The agency takes enforcement action against those who violate Federal Aviation Regulations by shining lasers at aircraft, imposing civil penalties of up to $11,000 per violation."

Might be worth it if lost at sea, don't know what penalties other countries have.
I'm just curious what people think...

I have a feeling that somebody lost at sea would worry about the repercussions AFTER being rescued.
Sure, but planning on using a laser to blind a pilot is a poor plan.

I think for starters you need a rescue aircraft actively looking for you from a fairly low altitude. In which case a CREE LED flashlight at night, or a mirror at light-o'clock should work almost as well.

If you want to flag a commercial airliner doing 900 km/h 10 km up and not looking down at all, you'll need one of these:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom