Five drifters rescued after six hours - Seychelles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

15 foot swells is way too much for me. Biggest swells I had to dive in was on the north side of Maui. I’m going to guess they were about 7 feet. It was pretty sketchy trying to get back in the boat at the end of the dives. We were the only boat I saw go out that day.

Imagine that being one of your first dives after training. It was wild to be able see out the side of the wave during the safety stop. Timing the ladder was the biggest problem on getting on board. Glad I did it before I turned 50.

Imagine that being one of your first dives after training. It was wild to be able see out the side of the wave during the safety stop. Timing the ladder was the biggest problem on getting on board. Glad I did it before I turned 50.
Like the saying goes, that which does not kill you makes you stronger!

True...what about a laser pointer?
You think the pilot would send the Coasties after you blinded him with it? It'd only be good if you saw the boat or plane and aimed it just right. I wouldn't bother.

You think the pilot would send the Coasties after you blinded him with it? It'd only be good if you saw the boat or plane and aimed it just right. I wouldn't bother.
He'll see a blink of light at best. Laser-pointers are FDA regulated and are not even powerful enough.

He'll see a blink of light at best. Laser-pointers are FDA regulated and are not even powerful enough.

All y'all don't have much experience with lasers. You can buy pretty powerful lasers. Green lasers are used for lining up and amateur telescopes. You can see the whole line going up into the sky. Any debris in the atmosphere will help diffuse the beam and make it more visible (up to a point).

There was a post (maybe last year) about lasers and 'lost at sea'. Loooooooong thread, and there are seemed to be ALOT of people who thought it was too dangerous for the pilots to even think of doing that, even if it would get your rescued. Myself, I'd be aiming as soon as I saw the plane....

All y'all don't have much experience with lasers. You can buy pretty powerful lasers. Green lasers are used for lining up and amateur telescopes. You can see the whole line going up into the sky. Any debris in the atmosphere will help diffuse the beam and make it more visible (up to a point).
I gave a link to specific commercial product. If you missed that, here it is again.

I gave a link to specific commercial product. If you missed that, here it is again.

OK. Who says you need to carry that specific laser pointer? Carry a more powerful one in a water tight case, like most people do with the PLB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom