Fitting SeaCure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy:
I am going to purchase a SeaCure custom mouthpiece in hope it helps cure my problem of inner lower lip and gum sores after diving caused by the standard rubber mouthpiece.

I have a new Mares M12/Proton prim. reg.. do I buy the SeaCure model SeaCureII????? Also any fitting tips you guys have learned from experience would be helpful.

Thanks
I love my SeaCure....wouldn't dive without it. Well worth the money. One thing to remember though, if you use a SeaCure, you need to have an actual Octopus that you can pass off to your buddy, and not just one integrated into your BC hose. Depending on your size, it's possible that not everyone will be able to get your SeaCure in their mouth. In an "out of air" situation, you can't help your buddy easily with the BC hose integrated Octos and a mouthpiece too large to get in their mouth. I know of a diver that this happened to, and he has since gotten rid of the BC hose integrated Octopus.
Just my 2psi,
C-Dawg

The Seacure can be remolded if you don't like the fit, if you bite down too hard or it just doesn't feel right. I remolded the mouthpiece on my ATX200 3 times before I got it just right. Like everyone else said, don't bite down too hard when molding, and if you don't like the feel, heat and mold again.

Vtdiver2:
...............[snip].............. it's possible that not everyone will be able to get your SeaCure in their mouth. ................[snip]........
C-Dawg

I am an Instructor. I have shared air with a lot of students. No-one has had a problem or complained about my Sea-Cure mouthpiece. I do have the Bitewings cut very short, because of people haveing smaller mouths. At the shop I work with we teach donating from the mouth and going to bungied backup.

Tavi:
I am an Instructor. I have shared air with a lot of students. No-one has had a problem or complained about my Sea-Cure mouthpiece. I do have the Bitewings cut very short, because of people haveing smaller mouths. At the shop I work with we teach donating from the mouth and going to bungied backup.
I was only passing this along as I know of an incident where this happened. Both were experienced divers, and one had a regulator malfunction. The other passed off his regulator with his Seacure ( he is 6'2") and started using his BC hose integrated Octo. His dive buddy was a female ( 5'4") and the SeaCure was too large to get into her mouth without gagging. Luckily she was experienced enough and comfortable enough, that she got a breath, passed the SeaCure back and took the Octo, and they surfaced together.
This is by no means a negative post regarding SeaCure mouthpieces. I have one and love it. But, when you customize your gear, you do need to keep in mind how it impacts helping your buddy.
C-Dawg

I didn't take it as being a negative post.

I just wanted to point out that cutting the bite wings short eliminates the problem, and the mouthpiece still works the same. :D

Anyone have an ida about putting a sea cure on a metal case SP B/A 2nd stage? The lip for the mouthpiece is a different shape; more circular than the plastic SP lip. It looks to be about the same overall size, so I'm guessing that if I were to heat up the mounting side of the mouthpiece, I might be able to get it to fit on the different shape lip. Anyone have any experience with this?

vondo:
I just got mine and fitted it on my reg. (Cressi-sub Ellipse and Seacure II). It their instructions they say use a Pro II for the Ellipse and to remove the yellow insert. Mine fits OK so far, but it looks like removing the yellow insert would seat it better (further back on the flange). It also looks like it would open up the aperture. The Seacure has a much smaller aperture than the stock Ellipse. I haven't dove with it yet, so I don't know how crucial this is.

The problem is, I don't really know how to get the yellow piece out. It's attached to the mouthpiece. I haven't tried forcing it or using a sharp knife to seperate it. Is that what I should do?

Thanks for any advice,

Eric

Hi Eric,

I had my LDS install all my Seacures......my Poseidon Jetstreams all required the removal of the yellow insert as the orfice is much bigger then all the other regs out there.......however, I left the inserts in on all my other regs ( Mares Ruby / Mares MR16 Voltrex / Atomic B1/T2 / Aqualung Titan ) and they fit just fine.........and while I'll agree the Seacure orfice looks a little small like it would choke down the airflow, I haven't noticed any problems down to 150 ft. deep, which is the deepest I've been...so I wouldn't worry about that......unless the instructions require you to remove the inserts to fit properly.......none of my regs required the inserts removal.

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom