Fitting SeaCure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to purchase a SeaCure custom mouthpiece in hope it helps cure my problem of inner lower lip and gum sores after diving caused by the standard rubber mouthpiece.

I have a new Mares M12/Proton prim. reg.. do I buy the SeaCure model SeaCureII????? Also any fitting tips you guys have learned from experience would be helpful.

Thanks

...the SeaCure II should fit your Proton........I use the SeaCure on ALL my regulators ( Mares 'Ruby", Mares MR16 Voltrex, Poseidon Jetstream, Atomic B1/T2 ) , and refuse to dive without my SeaCures, they make THAT big an improvement in comfort/security.

My Mares regs came from the factory with some of the worst mouthpieces ever made...that's the only complaint I've ever had with my Mares regs........once I switched them out, I've been 100% satisfied with the Mares regs.

As far as fitting tips.........I dive mine straight out of the box, without any modification, so I didn't 'heat' mine....... I would advise you to be careful not to leave them inside a hot car, I've had them 'warp' a bit......of course, it's easy to dip them in hot water and 'bend' them back into shape.

Karl

Call Scubatoys about getting one of the Comfo-bite type mouthpieces. I have one on my Proton, and I absolutely love it. It's made similar to an orthodontic mouthpiece, with part of behind your top teeth. Absolutely no jaw fatigue. Heck, I sometimes get slack jawed, and have to remind myself to close my mouth...lol. It really is the most comfortable mouthpiece I have tried, bar none. Also, there is no fitting, or boiling. It works straight out of the package, and costs <$20

I love my SeaCures,

I have them on all my regs.

Fitting?? just follow the directions on the package. Read the whole thing before you start.

One tip: don't bite down hard when molding.

Thanks everyone for your input....this really helps!

Just be careful about biting down too hard while they are just out of the hot water. You can bite through them very easily. I would also recommend that you dunk the part in the hot water for a second or two that is going to fit over your reg....it will go a lot easier.

Also, be careful reference fitting. If you have a low gag tolerance, just shoving the thing in your mouth may show you once more what you had for lunch. Remember too...you can always carefully trim off more.....but you cant put it back on.

I found fitting mine while not mounted to the reg much easier...
rich

RICHinNC:
Just be careful about biting down too hard while they are just out of the hot water. You can bite through them very easily. I would also recommend that you dunk the part in the hot water for a second or two that is going to fit over your reg....it will go a lot easier.

Also, be careful reference fitting. If you have a low gag tolerance, just shoving the thing in your mouth may show you once more what you had for lunch. Remember too...you can always carefully trim off more.....but you cant put it back on.

I found fitting mine while not mounted to the reg much easier...
rich

Thanks Rich for those tips,,,,going out today to buy one and give it a try!

Make sure your buddies are able to use your mouthpiece so you don't kill them if you have to donate air.

scubafanatic:
...the SeaCure II should fit your Proton........I use the SeaCure on ALL my regulators ( Mares 'Ruby", Mares MR16 Voltrex, Poseidon Jetstream, Atomic B1/T2 ) , and refuse to dive without my SeaCures, they make THAT big an improvement in comfort/security.

My Mares regs came from the factory with some of the worst mouthpieces ever made...that's the only complaint I've ever had with my Mares regs........once I switched them out, I've been 100% satisfied with the Mares regs.

As far as fitting tips.........I dive mine straight out of the box, without any modification, so I didn't 'heat' mine....... I would advise you to be careful not to leave them inside a hot car, I've had them 'warp' a bit......of course, it's easy to dip them in hot water and 'bend' them back into shape.

Karl
I just got mine and fitted it on my reg. (Cressi-sub Ellipse and Seacure II). It their instructions they say use a Pro II for the Ellipse and to remove the yellow insert. Mine fits OK so far, but it looks like removing the yellow insert would seat it better (further back on the flange). It also looks like it would open up the aperture. The Seacure has a much smaller aperture than the stock Ellipse. I haven't dove with it yet, so I don't know how crucial this is.

The problem is, I don't really know how to get the yellow piece out. It's attached to the mouthpiece. I haven't tried forcing it or using a sharp knife to seperate it. Is that what I should do?

Thanks for any advice,

Eric

It should just come right out with needle-nose pliers... As I recall, when I fit mine.

Back
Top Bottom