Fitness Woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol, "Sloth Power" I like it, there should be a tee-shirt. I'm more interested in fitness than in losing weight. My weight is fine for my height although I could stand to be slightly less round in a couple of areas. I am more interested in having the strength and energy to do things like scuba diving. I eat pretty well; although I've just put my vegetarianism on hold for a bit I'm careful about what sorts of things I eat mainly lean meats and fish, very limited amounts of red meat, tons of veggies and fruit, low salt, low cholesterol, and low fat. The things I am working on are approriate allotments of chocolate and pizza. I've decided the horribly fatty pizzas I like are ok once a month but I haven't decided how much chocolate is ok. I also haven't been drinking alcohol for pretty much the entire summer and I can't have anything caffienated. I've noticed my blood pressure has improved quite a bit. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on this aspect of fitness since it has now been brought up?

Gidds:
So biking, swimming, and jumping rope (maybe) it is for me. I won't worry about movies distracting me from peddling (when it gets cold) because my heart rate monitor makes a really annoying noise if I don't stay within limits. As for biking outside while it is warm I can't go too slow or else the mosquitos catch up with me! I was wondering about rowing as well?
Gidds, I have a rowing machine you can have. You coming up to VT anytime soon?
Chris

Like I suggested earlier, Cameron's book has some good info regarding nutrition within the realm of both fitness and diving. If you want all of the dirty details, I'll point you towards Chris Carmichael's book "Food for Fitness." Micro and Macro nutrients in all their resplendent glory - and enough detail to keep you entertained for days. It will depend on what works for you, but a good rule of thumb that a number of endurance athletes have found success with is the 40/30/30 formula. 40% of your calories from carbohydrates, and 30% each from protein and fat. Remember that carbs and protein are 4 cal/gm and fat is more than twice that (9 cal/gm), so in order to get that many calories from fat, it really isn't that much. I've also seen some people go as high as 60% on the carbs, but the protein numbers go down to the low 'teens in order to get your 25% of fat. Fitday.com is a good (both in that it's free and fairly well put together) website for tracking your intake of nutrients. All things aside, balance is key.

-Frank

In the last few years I've lost more than 40lbs and increased my strength tremendously. Health was the reason to keep me going through with it. Looks can only motivate you so far. Listening to your explanations leads me to believe that you need a sustainable long term solution that has flexibility. I'll give you my fitness and diet recommendations below:
Fitness:
Variety! Boredom will kill you otherwise. You live on the second floor. One day can be stair day. Climb up and down them for 15 minutes before you shower for the evening. If it becomes easy, get small weights or spend a little more time. Swimming is great. Pick a day or two as swim days and go early in the morning. Early risers will probably be older or professionals. You will be less conscious around them than the young and out hunting crowd that comes later. Plus the kids aren't there. Walking. Pick a day to walk some trails or such. Yoga and similar programs. Take a class one day a week. The stretches will help the other exercise be more effective and they will improve your aches and improve concentration. Bikes. Take a class or ride one once a week. I hate sitting on a bike. A day a week will do you good but not bore you back to your TV and Doritos. Buy a fitness ball and a book on ball exercises. This is one of the best bang for buck workout tools I know. Buy a book because videos are usually 15 minutes of generic stuff. Pick a day for a ball workout of 30 minutes (you can do in front of the TV). On days you don't have time to swimming, biking etc, work in the ball or stairs. There is a full week without being repetitive, overwhelming or expensive.

Diet:
As much as we don't like to hear it, diet is at the center. What I did was create my own "cheaters" diet. I put everything that I know is worst for me (high sugar things) into a cheat category. I can eat a cheat anytime I want to, I just can't have another for a week after that. That makes me wait for the things I love best so not to waste my cheat on garbage. They also taste better due to the anticipation. I still let myself eat fries and other fast paced garbage but I made a goal to eat more healthy meals than I was before. Start with 4 or 5 good meals (veggies, baked, etc) a week as a goal. It's not such a drag when you know you can have fried chicken tomorrow. If you completely deny yourself the things you love, your diets tend not to last. The biggest benefit to me for the diet side was still the health aspects. I feel better and I know I'm healthier.

I hope that helps. Notice - no gyms. I love them now but they are NOT required to become fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom