Fitness Members Only: Weekly Journal 4/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha:
Hi Rosie!
I would like to know how many activity points we get for scuba and biking and swimming laps.

The Bonus Points (as they were called when I started) are as follows:

Cycling gently : 1 per 15 mins
Cycling strenuously : 1.5 per 15 mins
Swimming : 2 per 15 mins

I don't have the points for Scuba, but I would think if you allowed half of the swimming points that would be about right. I will post on the WW board and see if anyone knows precisely.

Other things about bonus points: you can earn a maximum of 12 per week and can only carry over 4 unused points per day. Sadly, going for a two-hour run one day (24 points) does not mean you don't need to exercise or watch the points the rest of the week (as I try to kid myself).

Hope this helps!

cheers
Rosie

1 hour of scuba diving is worth 13 points!! (per WW web site)

I just got done with a Resist-A-Ball class. Boy are my arms and legs shaking!! After all the gardening I did yesterday, I'm off to a good start this week!

hnladue:
1 hour of scuba diving is worth 13 points!! (per WW web site)

Wow that's half a pizza!! I'll be in Cozumel in 12 days..hoping to get some diving in..should help the fitness plan. :winky:

Wow! 13 pts. We should do alot of diving! I went to Bahamas and made 8 dives in 2 days, ate like a pig, including a very fattening dinner at a french restaurant and still lost 2 lbs. Going on the Cayman Aggressor in June, so with all that diving, I should lose alot even if I eat everything in sight. That trip has actually been my goal. I want to be able to wear a 2 piece bathing suit and look good in it. Only have a few lbs to go.

Natasha:
Wow that's half a pizza!! I'll be in Cozumel in 12 days..hoping to get some diving in..should help the fitness plan. :winky:

Recreational scuba diving burns around 6-800 calories/hour. So if you got good air consumption - an easy day of diving can burn off half a pound. Heck if your out on the boat all day - ya got no time to eat the other stuff too! Now here's the kicker everyone - ya gotta lay light on the booze now too....!

-netmage

OK, I'm gonna summarize since I haven't been checking in daily.......
Food - I am generally following the food plan from a subset of a 12 step program, generally 4 oz of protein and two cups of veggies for a month, then add grains after that....

In reality, I am just generally trying to have protein and veggies or fruit at every meal, sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't

Had a couple slips over the weeked... about 15 french fries with Saturday dinner, chicken tacos, 1/2 glass of chocolate milk last nite..... but for the most part things are going well.

I realized long ago that if I forbid myself from eating certain foods, and scold myself when I do, that doesn't work for me. I have to have a little lee way to screw up. And since I'd like this to be for the long run, some chocoloate now and then ain't gonna hurt me.

Exercise - has been good...Although I do get the "what's the point" syndrome at the gym sometime..... i.e., i've got so much to lose, what's the point......But I'm trying to keep on keepin on

Friday - swim 1500 yds
Saturday - 1/2 hour stairmaster, 1000 yard swim
Sunday - 1/2 hour stairmaster
No diving to speak of :frown:

Today
B fast - Strawberry cereal bar, 4 ounces protein (cheese). apple for a snack
Lunch - Cobb Salad, carrots
Dinner - chicken breast, green beans

Exercise - planning on 1500 yard swim

Chris

Well, I definitely ate too much food this weekend! Saturday was the GLWC meet and greet and we had sooo much great food! It would not have been so bad if we had been diving too. Scuba burns lots of calories but since the water was so cold, we sat all day and enjoyed the company and food! Sunday, we went down to Portage quarry and helped on land as members of our LDS raised the new training platform. Again, lots of food! But, I think that I am back on track today and thankfully I do not weigh in until Thursday! It is so beautiful here tonight that I think I will take my secoind 2 mile walk.

jdf....Excellent tips, I use them all!

Having a free day has really saved me. When Beast and I started, those free day meals consisted of hamburgers and french fries, or chicken fried steak and gravy...you get the idea. Now, just the thought of eating either of those things makes me queasy! A freebie meal now may be a loaded baked potato a Jason's deli, and I don't need or want the cheese like I used to. What I'm trying to say is that your tastes really change after a while. The lifestyle change is already happening and it's been more or less painless so far!

Just a comment on the Activity Points with WW. I calculated that on my liveaboard in March to the Bahamas over the 3 days of diving I earned 700 points. That included some of the walking from the parking lot to the boat hauling gear. I did not keep track of the food points I had, but I know that I did not gain weight that weekend.

Yesterday was a good day for me. I did a 45 min. cardio/strength workout. I did not exceed my target points. The only thing I did not drink more than the 6 glassess of water. Most days I am drinking 8 to 10. I will do better today though.

I had to go to WW to weigh in last night instead of tonight since I will be working. I am down 1.4 lbs. For a total loss of 3lbs in two weeks. So far I am doing right on target for one of my goals was to lose one pound a week.

Got to go will check back in late tonight.

netmage:
Recreational scuba diving burns around 6-800 calories/hour. So if you got good air consumption - an easy day of diving can burn off half a pound. Heck if your out on the boat all day - ya got no time to eat the other stuff too! Now here's the kicker everyone - ya gotta lay light on the booze now too....!

-netmage

Diving more energetic than swimming? That's really amazing, considering how much less physical effort it is. If only I lived somewhere nice enough to dive instead of having to wait for holidays!

cheers
Rosie

Back
Top Bottom