Fist time I called a dive at depth...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bretagne

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It is a dive where nothing really bad happenned, as I called the dive before having major problems, but I nevertheless learned some things at this occasion.
I am still quite inexperimented, 32 dives, CMAS P**, which means (in France) that I am allowed to dive in autonomy with 1 or 2 buddies (my husband + occasionnal additional diver) down to 20m, and with a N4 (roughly equivalent to a dive master who cannot teach) down to 40m (max a N4 +4 divers)
I had dived in autonomy this summer, without any problem. Also had our first night dive which was great.
This dive was planned as a deep dive, between 35 and 40m. A N4 that I know, we already had done a deep dive with him the year before, my husband and me. We had planned to go down 'in the blue' until we hit the rock at about 27/28m, then follow the rock down to 38/40m (40m strict maximum).
Now let me tell that these dives are at the Channel/Atlantic limit, 15C water in summer with a far from perfect (but acceptable to my taste) viz. So to go down "in the blue" is really "in the green-brown where you do not know where you are, and must stay close to the group". I wear a 7mm wet suit, and 9kg (too much, I forgot that I need less lead on deep dives, first mistake)
First problem is that I begin to have difficulties to equilibrate my ears. Usually, I do it very easily, I pinch my nose and click my ears to open eustachian tubes, I do not nead any real valsalva or other method. The N4 was still going down, without looking at us (for a short time, but it felt long) and while trying to keep contact it him I didn't think immediately to do a real valsalva which could have helped. Second mistake. Nevertheless the ear partly equilibrate, just not fast enough. he N4 looks at us, I tell him that I have problem with my ears, he stops and I am finally able to equilibrate properly. we go down again, and he signal be to go first (so that he is able to watch me, I suppose... he is not far beside, just enough to keep an eye on my husband too). I am not comfortable with it as I do not know wher I go. Third problem: when I reach ~20m, I find it more difficult to breath, I check my regulator and I find that the ventury regulation is still on "-", I put it on "+", breath is a little easier. We go on, me slightly before the others with the encouragements of the N4. Finally we see the bottom, which was at ~38m (as we went down slower than scheduled due to my ears problem, we had drifted). At this depth, I have again difficulties to breath, I tell it to the N4 and we call the dive. I was still in control of what I was doing, no panick, but I knew that it could only worsen at this depth. He catch my BC to go up, in fact he tells me to bo nothing, that he is in charge (and I think that at this time he is right on that), we go up with difficulties (he does not inflate my jacket, he uses his to control the ascend), then at 15m (I was berathing correcly again with reduction of ppCO2), he let me go (after asking me but still watches me closely, at 9m he inflates his saussage, we do our deco stop (very short but compulsory) without any problem, surface, the boat takes us. A part an aborted dive, all is finally well... except that he tells me "you were too heavy, I had difficulties to lift you". True, I was too heavy. By ~2kg I think. But more than that, due to the difficulties I had during the way down and poorly handled multitasking, I had not inflated my BC enough, I was not neutral at all! and he didn't inflate my BC to compensate it (is it a mistake or not? can experienced divers comment on it?)
What I have learned?
-If I have difficulties going down for a long way down in the blue, I would call the dive earlier. At least as long I do not get more experience with this sort of dives.
-when way down is long, take care of the drift!
-when you fo down fast, be careful that it is because you swim down, and not because you are negatively buoyant (I realised that it is not always obvious to feel, especially when you concentrate on something else at the same time)
-I am at a certification level where I must be able to bring a diver to surface from a depth of 20m. We had trained with divers who were properly neutral. Now I will remember than in a real situation, the diver is not necessarily neutral!
-As I have no real possibility of natural environment dives between september and March, I must not forget to go to the pit pool to train, I must have automatisms to bring a diver (my husband) up!

Do you have other comments?

You don't need less weight for deep dives because you need to be weighted such that with little air in your tank you can still control your ascent rate near the surface where it's most important.

Heavy wet suits can be problematic for deep dives since you are overweighted at depth due to compression of the suit.

Mike, for now, I have felt that I need less weight because my wet suit does not yet regain as much volume as I went up. But it could change when it gets older and get more permanent compression, I do not say that it is a general rule. Nevertheless the difference is not very huge.
It is from the difference when I reach the surface that I have felt a need of less weight, not from the behaviour at the bottom.

just check your bouyency before your next dive, at the surface, with you BC empty, you should float around eye level with full breath, when you exhale, you should start sinking, then you are properly weighted. Also you need to be adding little bits of air to your BC the whole way down to stay neutral, but you seem to know this so.....

Yes, I know I was poorly handling the buoyancy at that time. Batman, your method does not work, it should be done with an empty bottle, at the end of the dive, not before the dive. Otherwise... bye bye the safety stop! I have had enough stops with arms around a big rock to prevent me going up to know that, hopefully it was not around coral reefs. (I never had difficulties to sink at the beginning of the dive).
It was more a problem of poorly handled multitasking + stress due to the unknown than of overweighting (I was overweighted, but not a lot). But it also made me think about rescue methods, not to assume too much about the rescued, even if he seems in a not too bad shape.

ok, im confused by doing it with a empty tank, i understand the bouyency characteristics of the tanks, but i have never had a problem, because at 15ft you wet suit is fully compressed, so you are a bunch less bouyent, so really you would be neutral(approx) beacause the tank gives you 4lbs positve, but the compressed suit counter-balances that.

^*^BATMAN^*^:
ok, im confused by doing it with a empty tank, i understand the bouyency characteristics of the tanks, but i have never had a problem, because at 15ft you wet suit is fully compressed, so you are a bunch less bouyent, so really you would be neutral(approx) beacause the tank gives you 4lbs positve, but the compressed suit counter-balances that.

- Your suit is nowhere near fully compressed at 15ft
- You cant assume fully compressed = -4lbs (different suit = different buoyancy)
- You should check it with a near empty tank and all your normal gear.

So Bretagne, the reason you called the dive was because you felt that you couldn't get enough air at 40m? Which regs do you have? (sounds like apeks) I have dived to that depth and accidently kept the reg on (-) and the adjustment turned all the way down and had no problems..

^*^BATMAN^*^:

OK, but how would I control my bouyancy above 15 foot with a nearly empty tank?

You don't need less weight at depth you need more "AIR" in your BC. You weight yourself for the "END" of the dive so that you're neutral @ 15ft when you do your safety stop.

You should be able to hover @ 15ft with "NO" air in your BC with a "NEAR" empty tank (approx 500 psi). A good way to check your weighting is at the safety stop. At 15ft and with about 500 psi dump all your air from your BC. If you sink then you need to remove weight (1 or 2 lbs at a time). When you can hover @ 15ft with no air in your BC you'll be "properly" weighted...:)

When ever you use a different type of tank than the one you're weighted for, you need to adjust your weight accordingly.

Your DM did not make a mistake by not letting you put air in your BC. He probably felt you were on the verge of panic and wanted to control your ascent so you didn't bolt to the surface. It's too difficult to control 2 BCs and prevent a run away ascent. Once he got you to a shallow depth and felt you could handle it he let you go.
You were NARCED...:)

[ I wear a 7mm wet suit, and 9kg (too much, I forgot that I need less lead on deep dives, first mistake)]
Is your suit a one piece if so then I can not understand how 22lb's is to much weight. That is about what you would need.

[he stops and I am finally able to equilibrate properly.]
Do not take this wrong it seems you where a little excited as that may explain why you had hard time clearing. Also stop and clear the leader should stop may not be with you as in a foot away but waits for you. If not abort as that person is not the kinda person you need to deep dive with.

[we go down again, and he signal be to go first (so that he is able to watch me, I suppose... he is not far beside, just enough to keep an eye on my husband too). I am not comfortable with it as I do not know wher I go.] Third
Bad pre dive plan as this should have been talked about before the dive.

[[problem: when I reach ~20m, I find it more difficult to breath, I check my regulator and I find that the ventury regulation is still on "-", I put it on "+", breath is a little easier.]
Again not planning your dive also no buddy check or did you ?

[At this depth, I have again difficulties to breath, I tell it to the N4 and we call the dive. I was still in control of what I was doing, no panick, but I knew that it could only worsen at this depth.]
Excellent that is the thing to do. Do not wait till you are paniced just abort as you did.

[He catch my BC to go up, in fact he tells me to bo nothing, that he is in charge (and I think that at this time he is right on that), we go up with difficulties (he does not inflate my jacket, he uses his to control the ascend),]
Good on him for taking control and getting you out. If you where narced bad the more you struggle the more likley you will have a DCS hit.

[ poorly handled multitasking, I had not inflated my BC enough, I was not neutral at all! and he didn't inflate my BC to compensate it]
No mistake at all at depth you signaled you had trouble breathing not that you where sinking.

[-If I have difficulties going down for a long way down in the blue, I would call the dive earlier. At least as long I do not get more experience with this sort of dives.]
I would just explain it may take me a second to clear on the way down so watch me. That way everybody is of the same mind set.

Allways watch your decent keep it in control Your bouyancy is everything.

Cheers
Derek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom