Fish underwater around rocks and boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPaladin

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question...

Is there any scientific reason why fish tend to congregate enmasse near wrecks and also by rocks or openings underwater? I am providing a writing sample for a job and this is something I was going to incorporate within my writing sample short story.

If anyone knows, I would appreciate any assistance.

food

Just to expound on the 1 word answer above.
Invertebrates, such as mussels, sponges, scallops and sea fans, attach themselves to hard substrates. These organisms then support higher levels of the food web & fish populations congregate and propagate around them. Plus many fish are designed (coloured/patterned) to merge in with irregular backgrounds. Holes and niches will provide physical protection from predators.

I would also add that congregation en masse tends to dilute one's chances of being eaten and that congregating around any kind of cover (reefs, wrecks, rocks) is generally safer than open water.

Thanks. I really appreciate everyone's input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom