Fish ID - Sailfin Tang...but which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sshrum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This might not be the sub-forum (or site) to post this ? to but I got this picture while diving.

I'm in the process of ID'ing my dive photos and got stumped with this one.

Taken around Sulawesi (Indonesia) @ Dunia Baru dive site at night last month...I've looked over the internet and gone thru my Paul Humann Reef ID books but can't find a match. Most have yellow tails whereas this one is pure white. No real patterns other than the bold zebra striping.

TIA

Attachments

• vlcsnap-00010.jpg
    vlcsnap-00010.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 264
Looks like a Red Sea Sailfin Tang also called a Desjardini Sailfin Tang. Most of the pictures I found they had yellow or clear tails as well but I did find a few that had white tails. It's possible that it is still transitioning from juvenile to adult and the tail just hasn't changed color yet.

It's the Pacific sailfin tang Zebrasoma veliferum. Yours has a white caudal fin, but the color can vary from light to dark, even brown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom