Fish ID Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrewingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 129
I was gonna say Bar Jack myself...

Hi all,

this is not a bar jack, but a Creole-Fish (Paranthias furcifer), a very common fish on Bonaire, not so much on Curacao, though I found a quite stationary population at Watamula. You will find a good picture on page 167 of Paul Humann's book "Reef Fish Identification - Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas". This is probably the best fish ID book for the Caribbean you can find.

Best regards from Curacao
Andreas

Andreas is correct. A Bar Jack has a slightly different shape and a totally different color.

I also agree that it is a Creolefish. They are pretty common on Bonaire and you can occasionally to see them with Cymothoid Isopods on their cheeks.
20060627_IMG_0156.jpg

Thanks for the great information...I learned something new today:D Now I know where to find the experts...

Thanks for the replies. I do agree it's a creolefish. I have the same book, and in mine it's on page 187. I missed it looking thru that book before. I guess with almost 500 pages that is easy to do. I have five of those books, which are fantastic.

You know, at first I thought bar jack, too, and then upon closer inspection you see the fins are quite different.

Rynomar, great photo, too!

The Reef Fish ID books are great. I can't imagine the number of hours that went into creating them but they are really handy.

Back
Top Bottom