Fish don't feel pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ever see signs at aquariums saying "please do not tap on the glass"?

It stresses them out! I agree with much of what Cat said.

Walter,

You may not be compelled to change your PI stance on the name issue. But right or wrong, people have been, and continue to be offended by the name. Here's a couple of quotes I found on a quick Google search.

"I had heard that the profile of the fish looked like a stereotypical picture (of a Jew) and took it as a very negative thing," said Rabbi Michael Eisenstat of Temple Beth Israel.

"This was not a quick or easy decision," said Joseph Nelson, chairman of the Committee on Names of Fishes of the American Fisheries Society and the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. "For several decades, this committee has been petitioned by people who felt the name was offensive to Jews."

Why take a chance and offend someone unnecessarily? I don't understand the desire to do that.

Walter once bubbled...
What leads you to believe this? Reminds me of the American Indians who point out everyone born in America is a "Native American." There's a big difference between being sensitive to feelings and assuming a problem where none exists.

Walter once bubbled...
Reminds me of the American Indians who point out everyone born in America is a "Native American."

OK, and your point is? Is the statement not true? Why is it a problem when a group of people, such as the Indians you speak of, ask to be called by a term other than the one that the government has made up for them?

I also don't see how you or anyone else could possibly miss the reasons why 'jewfish" might be considered offensive to some.

Just because no offence was meant doesn't mean none exists.

WW

IT'S A FISH!!!

Chill........

Willer

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the name should be changed to avoid offending Jews. Please explain how renaming it after someone who is famous for killing Jews is inoffensive?

"Why take a chance and offend someone unnecessarily? I don't understand the desire to do that."

Seems like jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

Walter once bubbled...
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the name should be changed to avoid offending Jews. Please explain how renaming it after someone who is famous for killing Jews is inoffensive?

"Why take a chance and offend someone unnecessarily? I don't understand the desire to do that."

Well, I would assume, without really knowing, that the when most people think of "Goliath" they just think of the term as meaning big. The mythical person behind it is likely not often thought of. That's a guess.

WW

To think of Goliath as someone whose notoriety is for being a famous killer of Jews is inaccurate in my opinion. He's famous for being an enormous Philistine man, and for being killed by David, a diminutive Jew. WW is correct in his assumption.

Walter, we'll apparently have to agree to disagree on this one. But I wholeheartedly agree with your support of Jetfins :D.

Walter once bubbled...

I am offended by the term "whitefish", "white bread", and the ubiquitous "cracker".

I think I will write to Ritz, Wonder, and various other food manufacturers and get it all changed...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the selection of "Gloliath" was an intentional slap at the complainers. Goes beyond irony to rename a majestic fish after a legendary Jew killer.

I sure know I'd be offended if my Grandma's clan was renamed from "Turtle" to "Custer".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom