Fish Die Off and Hood Canal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Install a series of giant bubblers along the canal. Won't that be fun?:D

I'm in the process of reading the articles in the link above but what draws me to write this comment is the utter frustration I feel about the ineffectiveness of our "leaders" and the seriously depleted short term memories of myself and, I'm assuming, others.

Damnation but didn't I just let myself concentrate on budget politics, crime issues and my own selfish priorities like kids and work and all the other day to day crap? This is so irritating to me because I have fallen victim to my own nearsightedness and when, since the early 70's, I've listened to the little voice in my head that asks, "Hey, how's that save-the-earth thing going Davey?" I silently answer "Well, it MUST be getting better because of the 40 years of activism and government concern and, well, the waters just LOOK so darn good..." Balls!

I'm irritated and motivated and sad that I've got to tilt at this windmill again.

Unfortunately, being responsible for our impact on our environment, and trying to guide our legislative representatives isn't like a football game -- we can't just "win" then revel in our success. It's a perpetual process, never ends. Each success is just a little step along the path.

Personally, I feel that the media is to largely to blame for keeping people distracted from issues and lulled into complacency, but I guess people also have some responsibility for letting them get away with it, too. Fahrenheit 451 was just so insightful!

Threads such as this hope-inspiring -- at least giving a little more public attention to important issues, though mostly to the choir. Maybe there are ways we can broaden our sphere of influence?

Sasquatch, another way of looking at it is that the windmill tilting in your past has prepared you for this important, new adventure!

By the way, many years ago when I was getting the tilting knocked out of me, I worked for Southern Oregon State College in Ashland, aka SOSC. Their school paper was called "SOSC Watch" -- I only mention because of the pun with your name :)

Thanks for the good words, John and I never knew about the school paper. Pretty creative.

Yes, it is true that the media can distract by dangling another shiny gee-gaw in front of the masses and I suspect this will be the end of us eventually. I participated in the first Earth Day and volunteered to pick up garbage in lakes around Lacey and Olympia. I used my Voit fins, snorkle, wetsuit and mask to facilitate the cleanup and got some press. I'd always been an activist but, as I said, I got distracted after I ASSUMED we were on the path to at LEAST taking care of our immediate ecological needs here in the PNW.

I was wrong.

Sea ya!

Is the problem in the hood canal a localized issue at the moment or is the whole water basin affected by low oxygen at this time?
If its localized is it a sign of things to come?
Perhaps this isnt the best example but I was always impressed with the way the state of alaska managed their fisheries-not enough king crab no fishing allowed.Belive me it hurt to miss those seasons.
Granted alaska is not the hood canal or the puget sound but tough decisions get made

Dead zones in the ocean are always reffered to as natural,getting bigger,and more of them every time I have heard them mentioned in the media.(Things that make you go hmmmm...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom