Fish-a-phobe wants to dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go snorkeling where there are fish. See how they make you feel.

Thanks so much, Kitty_Kat. Wise words which definitely echo my own thoughts. I'll admit that I get a bit frustrated with myself at being unable to be in COMPLETE control of my emotional responses, but just have to keep reminding myself that lifelong habits aren't redirected overnight. Baby steps ... even if it frustrates me.

Johnnythan, excellent suggestion. I may be able to do so very soon.

Thanks so much, Kitty_Kat. Wise words which definitely echo my own thoughts. I'll admit that I get a bit frustrated with myself at being unable to be in COMPLETE control of my emotional responses, but just have to keep reminding myself that lifelong habits aren't redirected overnight. Baby steps ... even if it frustrates me.

Johnnythan, excellent suggestion. I may be able to do so very soon.

One thing to keep in mind is that scuba diving is done as a functional buddy pair. You need to be there for your buddy should something bad happen. A lot of women get into diving allowing the man to take control and don't watch out for him in the belief he will watch out for her.

My point is that if the fish continue to make you uneasy and stressed, you might be functional enough to handle yourself, especially if someone is there "watching over you." That's not enough though. You really need to be calm and functional enough to take control of a situation and help your buddy out of a very bad situation. Underwater, things can go very bad very quickly. It's a safe sport, but you really need to be comfortable enough down there to handle a great deal of extra stress being heaped on you in an instant. If you're already a little borderline, then maybe diving isn't for you.

You're absolutely correct, johnnythan. I will most definitely strongly consider what you've said as I go through the class. I am not about to put my or my husband's life at risk, and if my comfort level is not "there", then I will either keep working on my phobia until it IS, or I won't pursue the sport.

As stated in my OP, I am receiving professional counseling.

Still very interested to hear of the experience of others who may have been in my shoes (fins?), if there's anyone out there who cares to share.

I really wasn't sure I was going to like being so "up close and personal" with critters in the water. My first experience was a discover scuba in Grand Cayman and I loved it! Excellent viz, pretty colors!

My check out dives were in our local quarry. BIG GULP. Not sure - however....I had on a wetsuit, feet were all covered in boots and fins, a face mask. Went down the first time and it was okay (except for that breath I attempted to take with my nose - yuck)! The fish were curious and would come up and swim all around us and actually got in our way. After awhile, they figured we weren't going to feed them and pretty much left us alone.

You are aware of your phobia; you have been honest and forthright with your instructor. If you find yourself unable to complete the OW locally, you already have a plan in place.

Happy, Safe Diving!

A buddy of mine has a fear of sea creatures, but it only really is an issue when we're at the beach and the water is murky. Not being able to see what's coming is the problem.

She found while diving she is 'in amongst them' and the fears disappear completely. I don't know if that may be the case for you but I would start in good viz.

It sounds like you're putting a lot of thought into your certification, and that's a great thing. Good luck!

Thanks SO very much for the words of wisdom and encouragement. What a great forum this is, and I feel fortunate to have found this place. Overcoming my fear is something that I've long wished I had the courage and motivation to do. Now that I DO have those things as impetus, I feel as though I've been handed a gift and I want to make the very most of it.

If I do go through with the quarry dive for cert purposes, I plan to be in a wetsuit, hood, boots and gloves. I think that will just make me feel more "secure" somehow. And if I'm not quite ready to enter the murkiness (although I've been hearing that the vis at the quarry has been excellent lately), I'll just take another, longer route to reach my goal.

Thanks again. You guys are a HUGE help.

I'm the one you want to talk to. I have a fish phobia and I recently became OW certified.

I don't know where my fish phobia came from, but it's real. When I got a fresh water aquarium 10 years ago, I couldn't put my hand in the water with the guppies and neons to straighten the decoration. Murky water lakes were terrifying because I couldn't see the fish waiting to bite me. I couldn't put my hand in the touch tank at Sea World to touch the rays. I was snorkeling in the Caribbean once, and had to stop when the fish kept swimming around me. Phobic enough for ya?

Still, I wanted to dive, took the classroom and pool, and did the open water training in the Keys. As a part of my classroom training, I asked questions about fish behavior to educate myself. As I learned more about the normal behavior of sea life, I began to understand and respect underwater life. I think that knowledge is power. It's the lack of knowledge that causes fear.

From the start of the open water training, I discovered that I was not afraid of the fish at all. In retrospect, it felt as if I was behind the glass at an aquarium (behind the mask). I felt 'protected' by the wetsuit and gloves. I did not wear a hood in the warm water, and felt no danger, even though my head was 'exposed.'

Just to let you know, on my final check-out dive, I came upon an 8' nurse shark. I watched from a respectful (10') distance, but felt no phobic fear. My heart was pumping faster due to excitement, not fear. I also saw a huge sea turtle, a barracuda, and two moray eels. The other fish were also beautiful, the corals stunning, and it was a magnificent experience.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate my fish-fear level at 10 before diving. After my dive experience, I don't feel the irrational fear any more. (Although, I will never be a fisherman, because I won't hold a fish to remove a hook from the mouth. That still creeps me out.)

OTOH, when the others talked about underwater fear and stress reactions, they are very real. If you become out-of-control-stressed, you could put yourself and your buddy in danger. Be honest with yourself and assess your fears in a rational manner.

Good luck. I hope this is a successful adventure for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom