Fish-a-phobe wants to dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's some encouragement, InkyUndine, in the form of a true report about my nephew. He was certified in late 2010, and his open waters were in a fresh water spring in Utah where there are no fish. Last summer he went on his first real dive in our local reservoir where there were lots of crawfish and a few fish. He has your phobia. He was a little apprehensive on his first dive, but on the second he seemed to have become comfortable being a part of the underwater world, and sought out animals to see and get close to. He is very much looking forward to his first ocean dive in the Florida Keys. I think a big part of the fear some people have is of the unknown and unfamiliar. I am going to predict that you will enjoy seeing all the pretty fish very much, and that within a couple of dives will be seeking them out, no dreading their presence. I have found that true of as few others I know as well. Let me know after the fact if I was right or not.
DivemasterDennis

This is why I suggested doing some snorkeling. It's impossible to predict how someone with a fear will react to a new situation. I've taken many people caving. Some of them are claustrophobic. Some of these people are scared of entering the cave but 100% fine once inside. Some of them freak out once they're inside.

The only way to really know how you'll react is to put yourself in that situation. Fortunately, you don't need to actually scuba dive to get underwater and come face to face with a fish.

Ski2moro, your words really resonate with me and are very encouraging. Very interesting that behind the mask, you had a feeling of being at an aquarium, and I can understand. I do plan to be in a wetsuit with a hood to keep my hair under control. Yesterday I saw an underwater photo on the website for the dive park where our class will do OW cert of a woman with a large fish resting on top of her head, and how she managed that I'm not quite sure! After looking at the photo and imagining myself in her place, I saw it as comical. (The fish has an expression on its face as if to say, "What the ****???" :wink:) I know with certainty that my phobia has been compounded by an ignorance of fish, so I've been educating myself and I am now finding them a bit more fascinating than ever before. I love animals (I have 6 cats and they can be a bit gross ... hairballs, butt scooting (TMI?), nasty cat breath - but they don't horrify me, so why should fish?). I'm endeavoring to look at fish as the ANIMALS that they are ... not some completely alien creatures who are there to scare me. You are absolutely spot on, in that knowledge IS power.

DivemasterDennis - thank you very much for sharing your nephew's experience. I love the fact that he actually sought out the animals on his second dive. His comfort level (and confidence) must have absolutely soared! I truly hope that your prediction is correct. At this point, I am counting on it.

Johnnythan, the hubby and I may look into snorkeling somewhere this weekend, schedule permitting. He asked me the other night what kind of "get to know the fish" activity we had planned for this weekend, and your suggestion would be perfect. We don't own snorkeling equipment, however. Would we be able to rent it at a dive shop?

You can probably rent it, yeah. Or you can pick up a cheap mask+snorkel+fins set at a local sporting goods store. Or you can go ahead and buy a nice set appropriate for diving if you think you'll probably be moving forward.

Inky,

I don't want to be the negative one and some other posters have already touched on this, BUT I think you should be aware that in some dive parks/quarries where the fish are commonly fed that they can be a bit aggressive. They can't really hurt you but bluegill especially, can be nasty little buggers. I've had them peck at moles on my legs. I've had stocked trout in a quarry peck at specks on my drysuit. This can be a little disconcerting to anybody. Just be aware and maybe avoid those situations if possible.

You'll read about the Tarpon in Bonaire bumping into you to get your attention when they're hunting in your flashlight beam on night dives. This happened to my buddy. Most of us find this cool and kind of fun but you probably wouldn't.

Sorry, I just want to be honest with you. I have my own phobias and know how overwhelming they can be.

boat

Bluegill are jerks. Seriously.

OK, when I read the statement about the tarpon, my immediate thought was, "Those little b******s!" Then I read johnnythan's "bluegill are jerks" comment and literally LOL'd! I absolutely appreciate the honesty! This is important info that will help me in deciding whether and where to make my first dive. I don't want the truth sugar-coated!

A couple of days ago I stared with rapt fascination/horror at photos of remora that had suctioned themselves onto tanks, wet suits and even human flesh. I completely understand how some fish could annoy the heck out of a person. ("Jerks." Love it! :D)

It's very cool to see you working hard to help yourself. I know that many people with phobias just give up without a fight. That said, good for you for getting professional help as well. Are you discussing your desire to dive with your counselor? What do they think about you diving?

I don't know how far along you are in counseling, but have you thought about buying a small aquarium for your home? A 20 gallon tank can hold plenty of neat fish. Maybe it would help to see fish everyday, watching them interact with each other. Putting your hands in the tank to clean/maintain it may help introduce you to contact with them as well.

IMG_0200.JPG

Sometimes there can be a lot of fish . . .

Back
Top Bottom