First Wreck Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carry a spare mask (DEFOG it too!). A broken strap at wreck depth = not good.
Honestly, in 3,936 dives I have never broken a mask strap underwater, nor any part of a mask break. Not only this, I have never had a buddy who has broken one underwater. Yes, have had a strap break above water, but always have a spare with me. Forget this suggestion.

Basically, depends on the wreck. If broken up or very open, no different to a reef dive. If penetratable, be very careful and probably do not go inside.

Put a velcro/neoprene strap on and never stress about the risk of a failed mask strap again.

Same for fin straps...

Other than that... keep your eyes open for stuff that'll impact you. Wrecks have sticky-outy bits.

Penetration demands good training. Most agency basic wreck courses barely, or don't, achieve competency in real overhead environment skills.

Search the site for 'trust me dives'... don't dive like that, especially on/in wrecks.

Research the wreck online before diving it. Knowing the history, seeing the old photos etc... Really amplifies the historic context of the wreck and makes dives more enjoyable.

What wreck are you diving? Any of these? South Florida Wrecks
Someone probably has specific tips for the site. Check our Florida Diving forum.

With 4 dives to your credit, you shouldn't do anything but the most basic unobstructed penetration. Probably none at all but IDK the wrecks in that area. Although I doubt your DM/Guide will let you. And nothing overhead obstructed. Some of those wrecks will be dive-cleaned which means originally someone went through them and removed obstructions and often big holes are cut in the hull/superstructure etc. to allow for easier access.

Wrecks can be pretty dangerous if you or someone else kicks up the silt - viz can go to nothing in seconds - I've seen it.

Last edited:
Folks, this is Fort Lauderdale we are talking about, not the Andrea Doria. The area is littered with totally benign wrecks at normal recreational depths. The first dive will probably be something like the Tracey, with a maximum depth of about 70 feet if you go all the way to sand. There is no reason to carry a spare mask, there will be no silt to avoid stirring, and there is no reason to do any sort of stop at half depth.

Honestly, in 3,936 dives I have never broken a mask strap underwater, nor any part of a mask break. Not only this, I have never had a buddy who has broken one underwater. Yes, have had a strap break above water, but always have a spare with me. Forget this suggestion.

Basically, depends on the wreck. If broken up or very open, no different to a reef dive. If penetratable, be very careful and probably do not go inside.

Clownfishsydney, you are MUCH luckier than I am!!! So funny. I think I am what you might call a PESSIMIST!!! I have had a very bad flooded mask deep and just know that for someone with my limited experience, it was a little bit freaky.

I have had a very bad flooded mask deep and just know that for someone with my limited experience, it was a little bit freaky.
The usual remedy for a flooded mask is to clear it, as is taught in OW class, not put on a new one.

A wreck is a hunk of metal. A reef is a hunk of coral. Assuming you stay outside of the wreck and out of coral caves at a given depth they are both sightseeing. Given your experience you will be on a shallowish wreck/reef. Relax, enjoy the dives, go slow, look around, and keep track of your air.

The usual remedy for a flooded mask is to clear it, as is taught in OW class, not put on a new one.
Well, long story but (since I don't have that much experience) I just could not seem to keep it clear. I am sure to someone who has more experience it would have been no big deal. But, at my experience level it did freak me out just a little bit. I did not have to put on a backup mask. I was able to keep clearing it and I got it to stop leaking eventually.

And to all of you more experienced folks.....Thanks very much for responding to these posts because just reading what you all have to say and trying to soak up all we can helps to make us less experienced people better and safer divers and that will help us all. Just bare with us. There is a lot to learn and many of us live far from the blue water we love so much so it is much harder for us to gain the experience that we need to build our skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom