First world problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My 40th birthday is approaching (May), and I am hoping to combine two passions in one holiday. I am a bit of a space geek and obviously a diver. I live in London (originally from the U.S.) and want to travel from London to Orlando to visit Cape Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center, much to the chagrin of my husband.

We've been to Bonaire and Roatan, Both were good, but didn't wow us as Asia just kicks the Carib's ass when it comes to biodiversity. Grenada was good also but that was due to wrecks.

Is there anywhere with a direct flight from Orlando worth diving for a week? If not I may just fly to Orlando and back or just skip the idea all together. I know this is a big ask... And I'm being a bit bratty.

My 40th birthday is approaching (May), and I am hoping to combine two passions in one holiday. I am a bit of a space geek and obviously a diver. I live in London (originally from the U.S.) and want to travel from London to Orlando to visit Cape Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center, much to the chagrin of my husband.

We've been to Bonaire and Roatan, Both were good, but didn't wow us as Asia just kicks the Carib's ass when it comes to biodiversity. Grenada was good also but that was due to wrecks.

Is there anywhere with a direct flight from Orlando worth diving for a week? If not I may just fly to Orlando and back or just skip the idea all together. I know this is a big ask... And I'm being a bit bratty.

"Bratty" doesn't quite cover it.

Um... three things:

1. Wow! Scuba and a Space Geek. How happily are you married? Would you consider a change?
2. There are direct flights to Cozumel. I can't compare it to most of Asia, but many think it is good diving, including me. Better than Phuket.
3. There are many good wrecks in the Florida Keys, including three near Key Largo. Google it. However, biodiversity is lacking compared to Cozumel or Grand Cayman.

Three to look at: Turks & Caicos, Cozumel or Grand Cayman with a continuation onto Little Cayman which is arguably considered the best diving in the Caribbean.
Beautiful by Nature - Turks and Caicos Islands - Turks and Caicos Tourist Board
Isla Cozumel, Cozumel Mexico Official Destination Website
Dive in Cayman, Grand Cayman Diving, Cayman Islands Scuba Diving

All 3 are probably near the top of anyone's top 10 best in the Caribbean. 4-5 hours flight time from Orlando - one stop thru MIA or Dallas sometimes.
Orlando isn't a great hub except for the mases going to WDW.

I wouldn't fly back to Orlando either - just fly home from MIA or DFW - both much larger hubs.

Fenando de Naronha, in Brasil. Fly from Orlando to Recife, then make arrangements to get to the island. It's a long flight, but one has to maintain one's standards. Wait till you see the pastel orange Queen Angelfish, the bright yellow Carribean Longsnout Butterflyfish, the unico coral formations! Look up my cousin Nara while you are in Recife.

Cozumel was the answer I expected but I can't find an direct flights from Orlando... What airlines should I be looking at??

thanks!!!

---------- Post added October 17th, 2015 at 02:16 AM ----------

"Bratty" doesn't quite cover it.

Thanks, that's helpful.

Do you just want an enjoyable bunch of dives with interesting things to see or will you only dive if it is better than every other dive you have done? Serious question.

You can fly direct to detroit or milwaukee and hit lake huron or lake michigan for a week.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Do you just want an enjoyable bunch of dives with interesting things to see or will you only dive if it is better than every other dive you have done? Serious question.

I'd be happy if there were interesting dives.

Back
Top Bottom