First world problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I loved the KSC and it's worth visiting. Can you rent a car? If so, you might want to drive south on US1 or A1A or I-95 from Coco Beach and stop around Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Key Largo and Key West. Each place is worth a few dives. I like the wrecks in Key Largo, particularly the Spiegel Grove. Try the Benwood wreck at night.

Also, from Orlando, you can drive up to Cave Country for some diving. Maybe also snorkel with the manatees.

I dive in the Pacific now but I was raised and learned to scuba dive in South Florida so I'm still partial to the area.

Last edited:
If you are looking for something interesting, you might try the drift diving in the Jupiter / West Palm area (no additional fight necessary). Early May might be nippy for your "tidy bowl" gear (depends on your temp tolerance). Late May it's "cool tropical (cool being with slight thermos at depth)." The deep reefs aren't colorful, but great wildlife. Sharks, goliath groupers, turtlepalooza, plus the drift diving is easy peasy.

rent a car and go to key largo

or drive 10 hours further and go to North Carolina. A 10 hour drive is much faster in the long run of a 3 hour international flight. NC has great diving!

Cozumel was the answer I expected but I can't find an direct flights from Orlando... What airlines should I be looking at??
And you won't in May. Probably not ever from Orlando. Some of the airlines add seasonal direct flights but that's often from Atlanta, Dallas, Miami or maybe even further north. None of which help you much. Check it here - the best is 1 stop. Matrix - ITA Software by Google

Driving in the U.S. Is no longer an option - I went to renew my license the last time I was home and the DMV told me I was never legally licensed for the last five years, even though they accepted my license to register 2 cars and 2 bikes... Unrelated issue though.

So Cozumel via a connection seems doable, and seems the best option.

Thanks!

Are you primarily interested in diving or are you looking for other activities and amenities? If you want to do a lot of great Caribbean diving then a liveaboard in the Turks and Caicos would be a good choice.

If you are looking for fantastic land-based diving then I suggest Little Cayman, but there is not a lot of topside activities.

If you would like restaurants, shopping, activities and diving then I suggest Grand Cayman, Southern Florida, or Cozumel.

Back
Top Bottom